• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 R02.03.00 CPS Freezing During Reading Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcemt

Hello,

I have R02.03.00 I'm running on XP pro with a aftermarket ribless cable and RS232 to USB adapter.

I've loaded the RS232 to USB adapter driver and it appears to be working properly (shows up in device manager).
Installed CPS opens and says "ready."
I attached program cable to radio and power it on.
I attached program cable to USB adapter which is already plugged into computer.
I then go to CPS drop down box and select "Read Device."
CPS ask me which com port (I pick the correct one of course).
CPS says "Reading Device" hour glass is showing on mouse icon, nothing happens after even 10 minutes and then when I try to exit CPS it freezes/won't close.

Any ideas???

Thanks guys!

Jared

jcemt

Update on issue...

Installed CPS R05.03.00 and opened it.
RS232 adapter plugged into USB and program cable attached to adapter (appears working properly as it is visible in device manager)
Attached the program cable to XTS3000 and instantly a windows bubble pops up saying "device not recognized."
Now disappears in the device manager and for a com port choice on CPS.

Maybe this is the same issue as above???

mancow

Database Admin
Device not recognized should be an issue with your USB adapter as anything beyond that is old school RS232 and doesn't "report" like that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the MTS2000 was never officially designed to support USB programming. Yes, it MAY work, but you're risking making your radio into a paperweight. The drivers for the USB adapters vary, some are better than others. It's a crap shoot.

A reliable, factory supported programming platform for the MTS2000 is an RLN4008 RIB and cable, connected to a true serial port.

Anything else is asking for a headache.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
My suggestion goes along the lines of MTS2000des, for BEST results track down an older computer with a true DB9 - RS232 comm port, use an OEM cable and RLN4008 Rib.
I myself used to use the same set up but on occasion would use a Polaris PA II aftermarket RIB.
I would never use that with a more expensive radio. Anytime you start to make changes, IE aftermarket cable, rib or USB to RS232 adapter you are creating a potential for disaster, in this case bricking a radio.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the cheap knock off RIBs, USB serial adapters, and Chinese knock off Ebay cables keep the depots very busy doing flat rates and time and materials unbricking radios that came in comatose due to unstable programming platforms.

not trying to be a snob, but if you can't afford the proper programming setup, maybe one can't afford the radio. It's like buying a BMW and taking it to EconoLube and wondering why your bimmer is smoking.

VE3RADIO

I would say it really depends on the manufacturer of the cables.. some Chinese cables are crap.. others are gold.. Where do you think /\/\otorola makes the OEM cables? Schaumburg? I think not.. :)

P.S. a guy who sells good stuff is Affordable Radio on eBay

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Regarless where you get the cables from, a USB ribless cable and USB adaptor is a recipe for disaster with an MTS2000. I would seriously consider getting a ri and oem cables and use a serial port.

jcemt

I'm up and running! I ended up buying an older computer with a 9 pin serial port and that was the trick---worked flawlessly! I tried several 9 pin-USB adapters and a different computer non of which worked. I know many people are successful with the aftermarket programming cable and china USB adapter, but not me. During all of the many failed attempts with the adapters I think I bricked a radio. On the bright side it was only a model one LOL!

Thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.