• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 Software still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

Anyone know if the software for the MTS2000 can still be obtained from Motorola or have they stopped support of that model? I don't want to go thru the hassle of setting up an account only to find its no longer available.
Thx in advance,

bezking

Yes it is.

Item number RVN4176 is for JUST the MTS2000, price is $279.
Item number RVN4177 is for MTS2000 AND MCS2000, price is $417.

Last edited:

clanusb

what programming cable would you recommend to use?
an ebay $20 cable or a motorola cable with the rib-box?

bezking

I have a kawamall ribless serial cable (from eBay) for the Pro series - it works fine, but an original Moto will work beyond question.

Last edited:

bezking

Direct from Moto you would need the cable and a RIB (Radio Interface Box - sits between the PC and radio, ribless cables have the components of the RIB built into them)

- RIB - RLN4008: $200
- Cable - RKN4035: $227.85 (<-- I'm not 100% sure this is the right one, you might want to call motorola and ask)
- You would also need a DB9 to DB25 cable to connect the RIB to the PC, you can get these real cheap online or from a store like Micro Center

Total: $427.85 + $279 for CPS = $706.85 (Insane, right?)

I have heard also that the RIBs from PolarisUSA.com work well.

Last edited:

RodStrong

I have heard also that the RIBs from PolarisUSA.com work well.

Polaris cables are good. Much better quality (more durable) than the KawaMall types. KawaMall and Valley Enterprises cables should work fine, but if you don't want to pay Mothership prices but want something that can take a beating, I would recommend Polaris. Wiscomm cables are in between KawaMall and Polaris durability-wise in my opinion.

Good luck.

bezking

No - Polaris also sells a RIB at less than half the cost - you would need the Polaris RIB and a cable.

Nasby

I can live with the $279.00. Would I be able to simply buy a ribless cable with a serial connector from ebay and use that to program the radio or is a ribless cable and box, etc. a must?

Devilz311

I can live with the $279.00. Would I be able to simply buy a ribless cable with a serial connector from ebay and use that to program the radio or is a ribless cable and box, etc. a must?

I've used a Ribless serial cable, with a serial to USB cable with no problems at all with any of my MTS2000's. I've since switched to a home-built RIB box that I bought from a member here. It has the standard cable connection for Motorola rib to radio cables, as well as an RJ-45 (ethernet style) plug that I can use for the CDM radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.