• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mts2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentley

Hey guys...I have an mts2000 with a straight cable Motorola lapel mic that has a antenna connector on it. My reception seems a bit weak. I only have an antenna plugged into the actual radio, and nothing plugged into the connector on the mic. When the lapel mic is connected, does it require a antenna to be plugged into it? Will that make me lose reception if its not connected? Does it bypass the radio antenna when the lapel mic (with antenna port) is connected?

N4KVE

If you have a PS mike, which has the antenna socket on it, than yes, you need an antenna on the mike. So basically when you do this, there is no mike, & hopefully you haven't pushed the PTT as this can blow the finals. Take the antenna off the radio, & screw it on the mike. GARY N4KVE

SCPD

QRT
Check the radio where the mic connector attaches to the radio. The radio should have a spring loaded plunger type connection that gets depressed by a metal "nipple" on the connector when the mic is attached. The "nipple" is suppose to disengage the antenna on the radio so that the mic antenna is used. If your radio doesn't have this option the mic may be difficult to attach to the radio.

N4KVE

If you have a PS mike, which has the antenna socket on it, than yes, you need an antenna on the mike. So basically when you do this, there is no antenna, & hopefully you haven't pushed the PTT as this can blow the finals. Take the antenna off the radio, & screw it on the mike. GARY N4KVE
Maybe there are a few different thread sizes, because on my mike, the antenna from the radio screws right in the mike. Then I pop the little rubber plug in the antenna jack on the radio to keep out the dirt. GARY N4KVE

SCPD

QRT
you can have both installed. the radio will use only one or the other, determined by what's connected to the accessory port.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Check the radio where the mic connector attaches to the radio. The radio should have a spring loaded plunger type connection that gets depressed by a metal "nipple" on the connector when the mic is attached. The "nipple" is suppose to disengage the antenna on the radio so that the mic antenna is used. If your radio doesn't have this option the mic may be difficult to attach to the radio.

Something I discovered incidentally...not all Jedis are set up inside for the use of a PS mic. I have had both my VHF and my UHF radios apart, and noticed that one of them (can't remember which one, but probably the VHF) doesn't have the contacts INTERNAL of the plunger. The Jedi will have the black round plunger and three copper contacts above it at the top of the side connector, but, it MAY not have the little box inside the case that the contacts and plunger activate.

I had been told before that some radios wouldn't use the PS mic antenna, even if the antenna was on it (I used to work in some areas with fringe coverage, and was able to come up with a PS mic for my radio), but until I looked inside my MT's, I didn't realize HOW it worked.

So, just be careful about removing your radio antenna and transmitting without it...the radio may not be seeing the mic antenna, and you can damage your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.