• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

mtx8000 error: freq is out of range 851.0125-865.9875

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstrose

trying to enter a control channel 866.9375 on an old mtx8000 but I get the error message preventing the entry. any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Rob

Josh

Stock MTX8000 radios don't allow of NPSPAC range frequencies, which are in the 866-868Mhz range. MTX8000 radios are not meant to operate on public safety SmartNet trunking systems, they operate Privacy Plus trunking and therefore do not have the public-safety only 866-868 range enabled for programming.

With rebanding imminent, I suppose it doesn't matter much anyhow.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Possible Fix

I mostly agree with the previous post, with the exception that MTX8000's don't
do Type II trunking/Smartnet. Some do, and I've certainly seen a few of them.

Check out this web link, if you are skilled, and have the right goods,
you may be able to fix your problem. Note, I have no experience with
this kind of fix, so if you fry your radio, the usual disclaimers apply :(.

http://www.batlabs.com/mtsx.html#2

Jean

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
kb5udf said:
I mostly agree with the previous post, with the exception that MTX8000's don't
do Type II trunking/Smartnet. Some do, and I've certainly seen a few of them.
I have too, but they're definitely not considered "stock" as Josh mentioned. The one I saw indicated a different code or package on the programming info screen IIRC.

City of San Diego uses a ton of the MTX8000s with the bare-bones SmartNet package. They've had a history of somewhat "SP" gear like the Saber SI though.

-Wayne

Josh

MTX8000 is a privacy plus trunking radio, type I, II and IIi. It will not do SmartNet, which is an fits the APCO16 standard with options such as dynamic regroup. Needless to say any MTX8000 (except the B3 model) will program a typeII trunking system, but the radio itself is not compliant and will not follow dynamic regroup commands (and there are others than just that one, but I can't think of it). Furthermore, not being Public Safety radios, they do not program in the 866-868 section of the 800Mhz band, they're not type accepted for it.

City of SanDiego is either using MTS2000 radios (which look the same, but are public safety radios) or they're using MTX8000 radios on the system, which by itself if fine (assuming sandiego's frequencies are within 851-866Mhz), but I hope it's not public safety using it, but rather city-services or something. If Public Safety (PD/FD) is using MTX8000s for SmartNet/SmartZone type applications, someone made an error ordering radios because they are not public safety equipment, nor were they ever marketed as such.... that's why there's the MTS2000.

Now, as far as programming 866-868 NPSPAC frequencies into the MTX8000, I'm sure there's a hex-edit that will do it. You could also use lab to force an MTS2000 codeplug into it, however, since the radio's firmware doesn't support the public safety APCO-16 features associated with SmartNet trunking, the best it would do is allow the additional frequencies to be programmed.

-Josh

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Josh said:
City of SanDiego is either using MTS2000 radios (which look the same, but are public safety radios) or they're using MTX8000 radios on the system, which by itself if fine (assuming sandiego's frequencies are within 851-866Mhz), but I hope it's not public safety using it, but rather city-services or something. If Public Safety (PD/FD) is using MTX8000s for SmartNet/SmartZone type applications, someone made an error ordering radios because they are not public safety equipment, nor were they ever marketed as such.... that's why there's the MTS2000.
Josh, I'm 100% positive it was an MTX-8000. I had the radio in my hands and got to see the programming; it did have SmartNet features. I want to say it indicated the SmartNet package via the RSS info screen but it's been a while, I'm pretty sure though.

-Wayne

underlift

rstrose said:
trying to enter a control channel 866.9375 on an old mtx8000 but I get the error message preventing the entry. any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Rob

I have about 6 Mtx8000 radios, a couple of them had the same problem but I was able to clone a codeplug from one the the others that had the same features in them and it worked Great as long as you keep the original codeplug file from the radio that worked in that range on the PC saved, you will need it. Whenever you read the radio after you clone in the codeplug and try to edit the control channels again it will not allow you to, telling you that you were out of range. So you have to find a codeplug to clone into that radio. One that does work in the higher range, Try the codeplug superstore and play around with some MTX8000 codeplugs.

Hope that it helps you out, it either takes the new codeplug if the features are the same or it tells you that they are not compatable.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.