Much analog in Halifax, NS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObiHann

It's been a while since I posted on here :) I was hoping when last I spoke up here to get a digital scanner by now, but as luck would have it, no dice. I've since started listening to the HRP stream on here, as well as with 5-0 Radio on my iPhone, so that has kept me happy for police and fire. I'm curious though, in the HRM area, what is there to listen to that is not digital? I'm thinking of grabbing a BCT15X, but am wondering if there is anything really worth listening to? I already have a hand held marine band for listening around the harbor...

hfxChris

Database Admin
Everything except police/law enforcement (includes provincial conservation officers) and the feds (military fire and police).

Everyone else is analog; fire, EHS, municipal/provincial public works/highways, many many commercial operations, etc.

ObiHann

Good to know!

What about airports YHZ? My wife is a airport fanatic, I think she would love being able to park and not only watch planes, but listen to chatter from planes and the tower on takeoff / landings.....

ClemeRo1

Premium Subscriber
Where live, Timmins Ontario, i'm a bit more then 1km from the airport and Tower/ground comes in verry faint (might be low power freq since it's for comm to planes on the airport's propert) however Arr/Dep FSS and FIC comes in clear. You might need to be closer to the airport to hear ground and tower clearly. Same thing for Ottawa airport, twr/grd are faint and the rest of the freq are in the clear.

ObiHann

Where live, Timmins Ontario, i'm a bit more then 1km from the airport and Tower/ground comes in verry faint (might be low power freq since it's for comm to planes on the airport's propert) however Arr/Dep FSS and FIC comes in clear. You might need to be closer to the airport to hear ground and tower clearly. Same thing for Ottawa airport, twr/grd are faint and the rest of the freq are in the clear.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean I would try to listen from my house. I just mean I could drive to the perimeter of the airport and listen / watch. There are a few places I know of that are very common with public for watching and taking photos, so I don't need to worry to much about looking suspicious, I would just be part of the crowd.

ve1sef

Remember the areas bordering HRM are still VHF. In some of these areas, the volunteer
fire departments have "countywide" networks. East Hants Fire Mutual Aid Association and Colchester County Fire for example. Also the Airport Fire Service is on conventional UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.