BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Muffled/Garbled P25 Phase II Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdurand

Hello all,

I've been using my BCD436HP for over a year now. It replaced a BC200XLT which I used for 20+ years.

Just kept replacing batteries on that thing. No complaints. One day I just figured it was time to upgrade.

I love the BCD436HP for the most part. The built in database is useful when traveling. Making custom lists for around town is useful.

For the most part I just receive straight analog signals but there are two departments which have gone digital.

I don't monitor them often but when I do the audio is terrible. I can't imagine the audio is that bad on their radios. If it were they would probably throw them away.

It's listed in the database as P25 Phase II.

Sunnyvale Public Safety and Santa Clara Police. Both in California.

I'm less than 4 miles from the Sunnyvale signal. I have an antenna on the roof. Signal strength shouldn't be an issue.

Are there any settings in the radio to help improve the audio for digital reception? Those are the only two local digital signals I've received.

I monitored another digital signal in the Los Angeles area. It was crystal clear. I don't know the mode though. It sounded so good it was like they were talking in the room (almost).

Anyway, just curious if there's something I can tune for better digital audio.

Thanks in advance.

cdurand

OK - I'm stumped.

I know how to see what mode I'm in..

FUNC-VOL-FUNC-VOL

It says auto.. she's me the Errors.. voltages.. at the bottom of the display.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the Manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.