Multi-Agency Radio Tower Vandalized

Status
Not open for further replies.
West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
http://www.state.tn.us/safety/newsreleases/reward.htm

$5,000 Reward Offered for Information About Tower Vandalism

August 1, 2006
NASHVILLE, Tenn., --- The Tennessee Highway Patrol (THP) announced today it is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of the person or persons who vandalized a multi-agency radio tower in Perry County . The radio tower is used by the Department of Safety, Division of Forestry, Tennessee Emergency Management Agency , Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency and Tennessee Department of Transportation and is owned by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation.

On July 17, at approximately 2 a.m. , vandals cut and stole close to 900 feet of cable and caused nearly $15,000 in damage to the radio tower located near Lobelville at Roan Creek.

Anyone with information on this crime is urged to contact the Tennessee Highway Patrol at (615) 251-5185 or any other THP office.

The Tennessee Department of Safety ( www.tennessee.gov/safety ) is responsible for ensuring the safety and general welfare of the traveling public. The department's general areas of responsibility include law enforcement, safety education and motorist services including the issuance of driver licenses and title and registration activities. The department and its highly trained staff of Troopers are responsible for safety on more than 15,000 miles of state and federal highways.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Of course, don't know anything about this act of vandalism, but after reading your post, I was wondering if the tower at Sewanee/St. Andrews is also a "multi agency" tower. For some time now, I have been trying to get the repeater frequency that is used for the THP cars in Franklin, Coffee, Grundy, and Marion counties to transmit back to the Chattanooga post. Several years ago, it was 72.8600, but I haven't heard anything for years on this frequency. I checked directories and found a microwave frequency of 955.8000, but when I drive by there all I hear is a continuous and unmodulated tone. Any ideas?

N

N_Jay

jimg said:
Of course, don't know anything about this act of vandalism, but after reading your post, I was wondering if the tower at Sewanee/St. Andrews is also a "multi agency" tower. For some time now, I have been trying to get the repeater frequency that is used for the THP cars in Franklin, Coffee, Grundy, and Marion counties to transmit back to the Chattanooga post. Several years ago, it was 72.8600, but I haven't heard anything for years on this frequency. I checked directories and found a microwave frequency of 955.8000, but when I drive by there all I hear is a continuous and unmodulated tone. Any ideas?

Sounds like you were listening to the link frequency not the repeater.

72.86 would be a link frequency, and would likely be narrow-band FM (25/30 kHz).
955.800 is a microwave link and is likely to be wide-band FM with SSB channels on it or digital.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Radio Link's

The Sewanee tower is linked by microwave from the Aetna Mountain site, and has a link toward Nashville also.

Mark Mc.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
I wonder why Homeland Security grants aren't spent on areas like tower site security? A great many of them are left with only a padlock and a chain link fence out in the middle of nowhere. The endeavour would be costly to be sure. But what better way to disrupt a WMD or major crime response that to take out communications?

N

N_Jay

RadioJonD said:
I wonder why Homeland Security grants aren't spent on areas like tower site security? A great many of them are left with only a padlock and a chain link fence out in the middle of nowhere. The endeavour would be costly to be sure. But what better way to disrupt a WMD or major crime response that to take out communications?

They are!

Do you have some information that says this site was upgraded with DHS money and security was not addressed?

jimg

Premium Subscriber
N_Jay said:
Sounds like you were listening to the link frequency not the repeater.

72.86 would be a link frequency, and would likely be narrow-band FM (25/30 kHz).
955.800 is a microwave link and is likely to be wide-band FM with SSB channels on it or digital.

Is 955.800 the frequency that the cars use to communicate back to the Post? And, if it is,how can it be monitored? (I have a BCD396T.)

jimg

Premium Subscriber
firemedic2150 said:
The Sewanee tower is linked by microwave from the Aetna Mountain site, and has a link toward Nashville also.

Mark Mc.

Can this tower be monitored, and, if so, how? (I have a BCD396T).

N

N_Jay

jimg said:
Is 955.800 the frequency that the cars use to communicate back to the Post? And, if it is,how can it be monitored? (I have a BCD396T.)

Did you read the post you quoted?

N

N_Jay

jimg said:

No, from what I can tell - - -
the 955.800 is a microwave link and is likely to be wide-band FM with SSB channels on it or digital.

Microwave links (and 72 MHz links) are used for POINT-TO-POINT and are not transmitting to mobiles.

You need to fined the land mobile license for that AGENCY and listen to those frequencies.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The license for 955.800mhz is to the State of Tennessee, WNEX 883, Service is MW. The THP cars transmit on 42.26mhz, which I can hear if I am within 10 to 15 miles, depending on the antenna I'm using. The way I understand how this works, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that the tower picks up the 42.26 mhz signal and re-transmits it to the post on another frequency. My question is two-fold: What is the re-transmit frequency of that tower and how can it be monitored on my BCD396T?

N

N_Jay

If it is a microwave (900 MHz) link, it is probably either multiplexed or digital and can not be monitored with a scanner.

Some older systems used standard narrow FM for the link, (on 72 MHz or 900 MHz) and could be monitored.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
firemedic2150 said:

Mark Mc.
Is this a "multi-agency" tower? I understood it was shared with the Dept. of Conservation.

kytnradio

From Radio World Newspaper (September 13, 2006)

Thieves have been busy this summer-busy stealing copper from transmitter sites. Several engineers have responded to their remote control alarms only to find copper ground radials and screen ripped from the ground, or above-ground coaxial feeder and sampling line cut and removed. With surplus copper selling at an all-time high, savvy thieves have targeted broadcast facilities. It's not just the copper cable. Crawford Broadcasting DOE Cris Alexander reports thieves recently demolished an air conditioner at one of the Crawford sites, just to get to the evaporator case. A few weeks later the thieves returned, this time breaking into the building. Fortunately, the alarm system frightened them so badly they left their tools. But as Cris notes, a few tools are pitiful compensation for replacing an air conditioning system. AM directional sites are particularly vulnerable, with copper at each tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.