Multi Antennas Multi Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Here is something I came up with for my Pro-197 and Pro-163 Scanners. I have a separate Wilson 800 MHZ omni Base Antenna and a RS 20-176 Omni Base for VHF UHF I found that Intercept SD1P1000A Satellite Diplexer works very well I connect the RS Omni to the 5-805 MHZ input and the Wilson 800 Mhz Omni to the 950-2150 MHZ 860 Mhz signals work very well on the 950 input. I bring the output of the splitter to the input of the RS FM Trap and output from the fm trap into a RF Communications CDAL 84N CATV 8db 4 port Drop amplifier and I have the scanners connected to 2 of the outputs and have the other 2 outputs terminated. The only cost I have in the setup is the FM Trap and the little 75 ohm double connector, The Diplexer and the CDAL 84N and all the coax jumpers was free Found it in Cable Ones dumpster. Here are some pics of the setup.

Attachments

• 102_2309.jpg
    102_2309.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 102_2308.jpg
    102_2308.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,617
  • 102_2306.jpg
    102_2306.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,292

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
I live in a Apartment and the antennas are inside, If I ever get the antennas on the roof I will mount the diplexer at the antennas and run one coax to the FM Trap the setup works very well with the two scanners.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade the FM Trap

I live in a Apartment and the antennas are inside, If I ever get the antennas on the roof I will mount the diplexer at the antennas and run one coax to the FM Trap the setup works very well with the two scanners.

If you want to reallty improve this setup try getting a PAR FM Scanner filter at PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I will check it out.. With out the FM trap I had so much noise on VHF That FM traps works okay, that CATV 8db drop amp works great for multi scanners I tried using a splitter for the 2 scanners and the signal was gone I found the amp in the dumpster at Cable One It works and I found 2 more and the Diplexer works better than a splitter

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I just got the ok from the lady of the house to set up my antennas outside. I am now wondering if the above setup is what I need. I set up a 20ft military mast next to the bedroom. (painted to white to match the house) On this I have a wilson 800mhz yagi about 16 ft up and a Diamond discone on the top. I have LMR 400 x 2 running down inside the pole and comes out of the pole about 3 ft. from the ground. I also have a PDI407-ar splitter/amp inside right now where I have coaxial running about 2 ft. to each scanner. My problem is
1.) I do not want to drill multiple holes bringing the 2 lmr400 cables inside the bedroom
2.) want it as clean looking as possible. (might be selling house in a yr or so.)
3.) I listen to everything and want to max. the distance I get without spending a lot.
4.) Last have multiple things on each scanner, ie. 800mhz, 406 mhz, 150's.
ANY HELP IS GREAT.
Thanks

prcguy

I've swept many satellite diplexers and they are not suitable for scanner use because the 5-805MHz port continues into the mid 800MHz range before there is reasonable cut off and the 950-2150 port has way too much loss in the 800MHz public service band, probably 10-20dB depending on the model.

If you have a way to analyze the response you can peel the bottom cover off and tweak the coils a bit to improve things but without that its not a good component for scanner use.
prcguy

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
I've swept many satellite diplexers and they are not suitable for scanner use because the 5-805MHz port continues into the mid 800MHz range before there is reasonable cut off and the 950-2150 port has way too much loss in the 800MHz public service band, probably 10-20dB depending on the model.

If you have a way to analyze the response you can peel the bottom cover off and tweak the coils a bit to improve things but without that its not a good component for scanner use.
prcguy
That satellite diplexer works very good on my setup I have good signal strength from the control channels on 859 mhz 40 miles away.. The catv 8db drop amp helps also. I have a short run of coax to the 800 mhz omni less than 5 feet to the diplexer .. The 800 omni is sitting on top of my computer hutch and the vhf hi /uhf omni is is on the bookcase.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
I did away with diplexer an used a WNC direct TV splitter MSPLIT4R0-01 2-2150 MHZ it has high isolation between the ports I can connect the vhf/uhf antenna to one of the ports and with the scanner I can go to the weakest NWS freq and connect the 800 MHZ antenna an get no change in signal, I will discnnect the VHF/Uhf antenna and put the Scanner on a 800mhz control channel about 60 miles away an connect the UHF/UHF antenna and get no change in signal strength. The aplitter has 4 ports and I have the unused ports terminated with 75 ohm terminators

Status
Not open for further replies.