SDS100/SDS200: Multi-colored LED timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It appears that the multi-colored LED on this model times out after 5 seconds. Is there a way to make it not timeout and/or follow the squelch? There's virtually no information about it in the user's manual.

Is there a way to make it not timeout and/or follow the squelch?
No such option exists.

Custom Alerts - You can program your scanner to alert when you receive, a Channel or Unit ID, a Close Call hit, an ID is transmitted with an Emergency Alert, or a Tone-Out hit. For each alert in the scanner, you can select from 9 different tone patterns, 15 volume settings, 7 LED colors, and 3 flash patterns.
Multicolor LED Alert - The alert LED with 7 colors, Blue, Red, Magenta, Green, Cyan, Yellow, or White, can be used with your Custom Alerts.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I saw those in the manual. I wonder what the mindset is in having all the infrastructure for this LED, such as all the settings in Sentinel; then only allow it to be illuminated for 5 seconds. Perhaps they bought LEDs that will be more accurate with respect to color but don't have long life.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I saw those in the manual. I wonder what the mindset is in having all the infrastructure for this LED, such as all the settings in Sentinel; then only allow it to be illuminated for 5 seconds. Perhaps they bought LEDs that will be more accurate with respect to color but don't have long life.

Quite a few posts on that indicating that GRE/Whistler holds a patent for having the LED stay lit.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I remember Paul (Upman) stating it was done that way to avoid a patent violation...

Go's back to the 436 and 536 release...

Last edited:
GRE/Whistler holds a patent for having the LED stay lit.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I remember Paul (Upman) stating it was done that way to avoid a patent violation...
There are better ways to beat the patent than what they've done (something I've done multiple times in the past). Otherwise I wonder if Whistler would sell them a license, because, as is, it's not a feature they can really promote.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
This is a tough one for me. The alert tones and ability to customize the little blinky light are the two features I prefer on my GRE vs my Unidens. Everything else Uniden does much better and I don’t really use the PSR much anymore although it may get brought back out to monitor developments of some new P25 systems being built out here So that I can keep my Unidens free for actual scanning.
I would never confuse the two if I saw Uniden having a light that stayed on for the entire transmission so this has driven me crazy seeing it shut off after a few seconds. I color code my alert lights on both brands so if I’m not paying attention and miss the light being on on my Unidens then I have to actually pay more attention to the traffic to figure out who it is. (Yes this probably more affirms why Uniden differed with their style than makes a case for allowing it to stay on full time, but it still drives me crazy that it doesn’t).

Ubbe

The alert tones and ability to customize the little blinky light are the two features I prefer on my GRE vs my Unidens. Everything else Uniden does much better
You forget about setting recording individually to each TG or frequency. Then you can also use wildcard on TG's that can be set with its own recording and alerts and lights so that only new unknown TG's will be alerted and recorded. The Delay time can be set to any value continously between 0-60 sec. Loudspeaker audio quality are also much better. There are some other things like detachable front panel and discriminator out (IF out) that lets you decode D-star, C4FM, Pocsag and Mobitex other formats on a computer. DMR also has a better decode quality than what Uniden can muster.

/Ubbe

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The led light response you want GRE/WHISTLER owns the patent to that feature.
I suspect that, if Uniden inquired about a license to use that, the price quoted (if Whistler even considered it) would be more than Uniden would be willing to pay.

The shoe is on the other foot with location usage. Uniden holds the patent on location based scanning, and the ability to use a GPS. While the Whistler scanners have a limited use of location for imports in their software (EZ-Scan), they cannot make use of location while actively scanning. And, in this case, if Uniden even remotely considered licensing that, I doubt Whistler would, or could, pay the price asked.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Unfortunately. I guess we just need someone to hack the programming & do it ourselves. :geek: No, I'm not that desperate for it. :) I do agree it was such a ridiculous thing to give on when other more annoying things are out there. Like the PSRs and X36s both having super annoying white screens. I kid. I kid. Still waiting on the waffle maker, too.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If Whistler (GRE) had built their radios to handle multi-site trunked systems, I wouldn't even have posted this. But they (GRE/etc) can't live on this LED patent alone. I'm sure if this was considered to be a real issue by Uniden, a solution would be had. A 5 second time out is NOT it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.