Multi-couplers and related pigtail coax lenght?

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Does the length of coax pigtails use with multi-couplers influence performance? I noticed Stridsberg sells coax pigtails to be used with their multi-couplers. I know they're easy and cheaper to make.

"Coaxial patch cables in two lengths 4 feet and 6 feet. These cables are made from premium Belden RG-58A/U and Amphenol BNC connectors. All cables are tested on a Network Analyzer for reliable performance up to 1 GHz"

1603383837965.png

I was surprised that they're using RG-58A/U for up to 1GHZ. I was also surprised the shortest they sell is 4-feet. Is the length important within reason? Would it have any ill effect if you used 1 or 2 feet?

mule1075

Feed Provider
I use 3 6' and 1 25' and don't see any difference. And I bought cheap ones off of EBay. Stridsberg is like any other company trying to make a buck. Don't get me wrong i like my stridsberg 4 port but I have a scientific american I believe is the brand cable drop amp that works just as good for a fraction of the price.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Length isn't critical, it's not a tuned length.

Benefit to RG-58 is that it's really flexible and won't put strain on antenna connectors of your radios. For short lengths, even 4 and 6 feet, the loss is negligible.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I only remember in the old CB days jumper length was like 3 feet intervals but all the jumpers I use with my scanners are cut to length in my setups and I see no difference in all my connected scanners logging with PROSCAN.

Ubbe

Coax lenght can be tuned to a frequencys 1/2 wavelenght but your scanner are not set to just receive one single frequency, you probably have a huge frequency span you are scanning, so it would anyhow be impossible to match the coax lenght.

/Ubbe

N9JIG

Sheriff
While longer coax would give higher loss, at these lengths the difference between a 3-foot cable and 10-foot cable is so slight that it is probably not measurable much less noticeable. It is mostly a matter of neatness. Adapters (like BNC-SMA etc.) would cause more loss than another feww feet of coax.

I keep a "Hamfest List" on my phone for specific cables with the ends and lengths needed for my shopping needs. When I could not find the ones I wanted I had some made at a local radio shop. I could have made them myself but I have never had much success putting on connectors.