Multi Multicoupler question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this is the correct section for this.

Would there be a problem with using one of the outputs of a Stridsberg Engineering active 8 port VHF/UHF multicoupler to feed the antenna input of another identical multicoupler?

If there is no problem in using one of those outputs to run another multicoupler there should be no problem in using two of the outputs to do the same thing correct?

N

N_Jay

Declared_Hostile said:

Would there be a problem with using one of the outputs of a Stridsberg Engineering active 8 port VHF/UHF multicoupler to feed the antenna input of another identical multicoupler?

If there is no problem in using one of those outputs to run another multicoupler there should be no problem in using two of the outputs to do the same thing correct?

I would not stack two active multicouplers.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Declared_Hostile said:

Not that I have `run across' / `noted'. I've been using a 2 port Stridsberg VHF/UHF active coupler to feed a pair of VHF/UHF 8 port ones for my scanners along with a 2 port HF one feeding a pair of 4 port HF ones feeding HF/SWLing receivers with no apparent problems for quite some time (10 years) now without any problems. (I have one 4 port HF one in my shack and the other one is out in our `family room' feeding another set of radios from a cable coming off of the 2 port coupler.) I have also seen several `cascaded', IE: An 8 port feeding an 8 port feeding yet another 8 port, active multicouplers setups and there seemed to be no problems with that configuration, either. (No matter which way one goes one should terminate any unused ports with a proper impedance terminator plug. It might not be readily apparent that it helps but it does.)

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {VB GRIN!}

MB

Feed Provider
N_Jay said:
I would not stack two active multicouplers.

Why wouldn't you do this N_Jay? I don't see what it would hurt.

It would be similar to using a preamp before a multicoupler (but not as much gain), I have seen it done many times with great results.

N

N_Jay

MB said:
Why wouldn't you do this N_Jay? I don't see what it would hurt.

It would be similar to using a preamp before a multicoupler (but not as much gain), I have seen it done many times with great results.

The gain and noise figure of the first active stage determines teh sensitivity of the system. You are better with one amp then with two in series.

Its not bad, but is a waste of money.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Just adding a second antenna would probably be the optimum choice. Or I suppose I could just get rid of some radios. Yeah right. Like that's going to happen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.