Multi scanner listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan-Denver

cstockmyer said:
Also who's the safe streets people?
Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what role these cars play or from what department/division, however I have heard them being called out for bank robberies.

cstockmyer

Scan-Denver said:
Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what role these cars play or from what department/division, however I have heard them being called out for bank robberies.

That's the reasion I asked, this AM DPD had a bank hit, and a Safe Streets car responded.

skipshark773

"The Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force (RMSSTF) consists of two investigative units: The Violent Crime/Violent Fugitive Unit and the Safe Streets Metro Gang Unit. The mission of the RMSSTF is to jointly identify, disrupt/dismantle and apprehend the most violent criminal offenders/criminal enterprises operating in the Denver Metropolitan area. The RMSSTF is managed by a joint Command Staff consisting of the FBI, Denver Police Department and the Aurora Police Department."

As for NORA units, I suppose you would only hear them on the air during a major incident. Like a riot or major natural disaster.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I actually have had an idea a while back that used the TIVO idea for multiple scanner listening. Although audio not delivered in real time, it would be outputted one channel at a time per conversation. This is to say in a cycle. First scanner then second etc untill all have outputed and then the process starts over.

I'm an amateur inventor.
:)

Patent pending

Last edited:

Thayne

So you must lean more towards being a serial listener,rather than a parallel listener? :)

Actually that might work ok--good thinking.

Personally, I like being blasted all at once.

cstockmyer

I tried last night to listen to both scanners, I still have the headache. I can not even begin to think of listening to more. What's the most scanners you can listen to at one time, and understand all that is going on??

rbm

cstockmyer said:
I tried last night to listen to both scanners, I still have the headache. I can not even begin to think of listening to more. What's the most scanners you can listen to at one time, and understand all that is going on??

I have at least 20 scanners running 24/7. During major events I can have a total of 30 scanners running. Sometimes it 'can' get a little noisy. However, during airshows and while listening to milair, they aren't all talking at the same time. During major events, they are.

poltergeisty

Banned
Thayne said:
So you must lean more towards being a serial listener,rather than a parallel listener? :)

Actually that might work ok--good thinking.

Personally, I like being blasted all at once.

Serial is better than parallel any day. :)

Yes I would rather hear the traffic one at a time otherwise I can't digest the information as well. I do run multiple scanners but, I do this only when I know specific channels are not as busy. For instance, one scanner could be on a Ham radio repeater and the other is monitoring public safety.

My idea uses simple VOX and audio chip recording so theoretically you could listen to a thousand scanners at once, however by the time you heard the thousandth scanner's conversation, 20 or more minutes would have past sense that conversation occurred.

BTW~ Right know I have no way of knowing what scanner the audio came from, likewise no idea of what channel/frequency. Unless of course you know the voices you are mointoring, like dispatchers.

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Banned
cstockmyer said:

Have you tried any of the available computer recording programs out there? The Wiki I believe has info. on these. I personally think the best is Xcorder.

Here you go

Last edited:

cstockmyer

rbm said:
I have at least 20 scanners running 24/7. During major events I can have a total of 30 scanners running. Sometimes it 'can' get a little noisy. However, during airshows and while listening to milair, they aren't all talking at the same time. During major events, they are.

20 to 30 at once????? Oh my I think I'd go crazy!

skipshark773

thanks, It's a bit older so some of the information may no longer be relevant.

[Edit]: Also, Jim brought to my attention that METRO needs to have the swat label next to it.

Last edited:

JeffTurner

Watch commanders are the hundreds... So DIstrict 1 is 100 District 2 is 200, etc.
Sergeants are broken down in the precints... So, 310 is District 3, 320 is District 3, 220 is district 2, etc.

The Airport guys come up on District 5 when they need something that they can't get from the airport, usually, the detox or are transporting to District 5 with a pris... They are 590 something if I remember right and the Scout car is the Denver Sheriff van picking up bad guys...

Yankee 91 is the CSI... Arson used to be Union 89, but, it got changed when there were two Arson guys on at the same time, not together, using the same callsign, so, you will hear Arson 11, Arson 9 is a good guy... etc.

Ambulance and Detox crews also have access to the police channels and monitor them on a regular basis, but the Fire Department does not...

Scan-Denver

JeffTurner said:
Watch commanders are the hundreds... So DIstrict 1 is 100 District 2 is 200, etc.
Yes, the watch commanders are the District Lieutenants whose call signs are in the hundreds.

JeffTurner said:
The Airport guys come up on District 5 when they need something that they can't get from the airport, usually, the detox or are transporting to District 5 with a pris... They are 590 something if I remember right and the Scout car is the Denver Sheriff van picking up bad guys...
The detox van designations are "Van 1 and Van 2". Yes the scout cars are the vans that pick up prisoners and transport them to and from the jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.