Multi scanner listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstockmyer

I am just curious how you all listen to multiple scanners at once. I went out and got another pro 97-yes Erik I know it's not digital lol-. So I listen to DPD on one scanner, and Aurora, Arvada/westi and Lakewood on another. It is driving me mad, how do you all keep track of more then one Dept's air? Anyone out there clue me in?

Also does anyone out there have a list of DPD's unit id's Who's who if that makes any since, I know I saw it somewhere, how ever I can't for the life of me find it. I don't mean names of officers, I mean what call sign's do commanders use and the chief. I know some just by listening, but others I am not sure about. I am just wondering if there is a general list out there.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It's acquired 'selective listening' :) I typically have at least 2 if not 3 radios going at once. One is usually parked on the local PD, while the 2nd scans the area fire and ems channels while the 3rd roams other PD frequencies. You tend to tune in and out of the conversations and pick out the good spots. Not to mention turning 1 radio up while turning the others down and vice versa. My wife always asks the same question... but it's usually just a look at the radios, followed by a look at me and a "why??"

rbm

I have a lot of scanners running 24/7. After a while you develop the ability to filter out the important stuff and let the rest go on by.

It's like being at a big gathering where a lot of conversations are going on. Without changing your position you can selectively listen to various conversations around you just by focusing your attention (if they're all around the same volume level). However, if one of them is much louder than the others, that will be all you'll hear.

So, one thing you have to do is have each scanner set close to the same volume level. Then you can key in on any changes. (Excitement, raised voices, heavy breathing, running, sirens in the background etc..)

As Forts said, my wife questions how I can listen to so many scanners while reading the newspaper and watching TV at the same time.

Scan-Denver

cstockmyer said:
I am just curious how you all listen to multiple scanners at once. I went out and got another pro 97-yes Erik I know it's not digital lol-. So I listen to DPD on one scanner, and Aurora, Arvada/westi and Lakewood on another. It is driving me mad, how do you all keep track of more then one Dept's air? Anyone out there clue me in?
Like most other things, if you listen long enough - you'll be able to pick up on the comms that are interesting to you and blow off the others. Just imagine how Jim does it day and night with what I believe to be 5 to 6 scanners !

cstockmyer said:
Also does anyone out there have a list of DPD's unit id's Who's who if that makes any since, I know I saw it somewhere, how ever I can't for the life of me find it. I don't mean names of officers, I mean what call sign's do commanders use and the chief. I know some just by listening, but others I am not sure about. I am just wondering if there is a general list out there.
I don't have a list of call signs, but I can just about tell you what each of DPD's call signs are.

Each Dist station commander's call sign is, "command" and then the dist station # - as in command 1 (Dist 1 Commander), etc, etc, etc.

The Mayor, the Chief, and the administrative chiefs all use the call sign of "Adam" and then a number behind it. The Mayor is Adam 1, Adam 2 is the guy (can't remember his title right off hand) who is in charge of all the public safety departments (Police, Fire, EMS). The Chief of Police is Adam 3.

If there are any others you want to know, feel free to ask.

cstockmyer

Yeah I can't even begin to see how people listen to 4 or 5 at a time!

Thanks, that helps a lot. When I would hear Command 1 I was thinking the chief. Do the different detctives go by different call signs? I think Yankee?? Or am I way way off?

Scan-Denver

cstockmyer said:
Thanks, that helps a lot. When I would hear Command 1 I was thinking the chief. Do the different detctives go by different call signs? I think Yankee?? Or am I way way off?
Unless I'm mistaken, the Yankee cars are the detectives who lift fingerprints and take photos of crime scenes.

There are other detective call signs like "Union", "Zebra", and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

A few of these I won't mention what they are on the board because of the nature of their work.

Last edited:

Thayne

One thing you will notice real quick is when somebody is out of breath, or yelling, or you hear whatever "emergency noise" dispatchers use to get attention.

My wife hates it when during stakeouts, some of the cops get bored and talk about farts or sex to keep from falling asleep.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
cstockmyer said:
I went out and got another pro 97-yes Erik
Good man. Just think, when u get that 1st digital scanner... you will be up to Three. :D

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Hmmmmm... Lessee... Yep! 9 scanners going and no problems sorting them out here. {VB GRIN!} Sometimes SWMBO actually catches things I miss when I'm busy listening to something else and keep me informed as to what is happening with those. We've had scanners around the place for going on 24 years now and if things keep going the way they seem to be going I'll have yet another `set of ears' with another couple base and handheld scanners to catch even more stuff. (My daughter just got herself a `set' of scanners, PRO-96 / PRO-2096 / PRO-97 / PRO-2055, for her room and for when she's out running around with either SWMBO or myself. [My son is still in the `games playing' mode and hasn't yet decided if he wants scanners of his own or just which ones. However, when he's riding with either of us he'll `hit' on something on the scanners almost as quickly as his sister so I expect it won't be too long.]) Basically you'll probably eventually start hearing anything important after a while and won't even actually realize your are doing it until someone elser points it out to you. Don't worry it'll come to you.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {VB GRIN!}

luke-1

One thing that also helps me is to get some of those small RS speakers and spread them out so all the talking isn't coming from one location. Keep all your radios in one general location for easy viewing, but for instance , have the Aurora speaker far right, Denver far left, DTRS in the middle etc. It keeps things separated, so it doesn't sound like everyone is talking over each other.

You do get accustomed to it, pretty soon you will be able to-
Have 5 or 6 radios going
Reply to E-Mails
Chat on Yahoo
Check RR
Talk to the wife
Balance the checkbook
Watch the Weather Channel
Talk to the UPS guy bringing your new radio
And still not miss a thing:)

Luke

skipshark773

heh, you think trying to keep track of two radios is hard, just think what it must be like for the dispatchers.

Here is what I have for DPD Unit Designators:
Patrol units are designated by three digits, the first digit being the district number.
For Powershift units (units with two officers) the first digit will be doubled.
Any single number (i.e. 1) is a district captain
Any number ending in a double zero (i.e 100) is a district lieutenant
Any number ending in ten (i.e. 110) is a sergeant
Numbers from 600-999 are used by Traffic Control or other specialized units

Alpha and Other Designators:
ADAM - Administration
ADAM 1 - Mayor
ADAM 2 - Manager of Public Safety
ADAM 3 - Chief of Police
BAKER - Support Services
CHARLIE - Delinquency Control Division
DAVID - District Attorney's Office
Gang - Gang Crime Investagators
HENRY - Parking Violations Bureau
IDA - Intelligence Bureau
KING - Canine Unit (Division of SWAT)
Metro - Special Services Unit
NORA - Colorado National Guard
Post - Foot Patrol Officer
ROBERT - Reserve Police Officer
Tac - Motorcycle Tactical Units
TOM - Traffic Investagators
UNCLE - Detectives (Crimes Against Persons Division)
VICTOR - Special Support Unit (aka SWAT)
X-RAY - Detectives (Crimes Against Property Division)
Y - Crime Lab Unit
ZEBRA - Vice Bureau

RISC777

I can listen to 8 easily enough. At first it can make you want to run away screaming, but as said, it's an acquired selective filtering of the brain. I can tell Boulders tones in a heart beat not counting the VHF clicks and such. Aurora's little tone is very noticeable. SWAC's tones are unique. DCSO's tones will blow my speaker out at times. You even get to recognizing the different dispatchers and their tone depending on it it's more "routine" versus something more serious. For some reason my ears ring a lot more often these days, though :lol:

TDHG4U61

I have 3 scanners and would like to share my story, okay then: 2 sacnners & a dual-band HT. On some weekends I have all three on and it keeps me very busy. One thing I have noticed is that when I go to the supermarket and in line for 10 minutes or longer, other people want to listen to what I have on (not the sensitive channels). Tell me this: PD & FD can blast their radios and we can not. Its one of those things that folks kinda say "who is that 6ft guy ?" . Years ago My friend and I were on our way to a swapfest, stopped in a fastfood place each with 4 radios on our belts. not to get off the subject but I try to manage free time to listen when I can, Thanks for listening.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
For a lot of years, I was the midnight (lone) dispatcher for a medium sized township in New Jersey. I had to monitor 2 PD channels (local and county-wide), 3 fire channels (local, statewide and countywide) and an EMS channel. And oh yeah, I was also the call taker (this was before the days of 9-1-1 in NJ). After that job, I worked as (again) the lone midnight dispatcher for a hospital based ALS provider. I had to monitor several channels, and a scanner, and take phone calls (although not from the public). After a few jobs like that, you kind of develop an ear for things. Nowadays I can have the scanner going, and not even hear it unless something interesting comes up, and then my ears perk-up.

Last edited:

cstockmyer

I am having a fun enough time trying to keep up with 2, I can't even begin to think about more then that!

cstockmyer

skipshark773 said:
heh, you think trying to keep track of two radios is hard, just think what it must be like for the dispatchers.

Here is what I have for DPD Unit Designators:
Patrol units are designated by three digits, the first digit being the district number.
For Powershift units (units with two officers) the first digit will be doubled.
Any single number (i.e. 1) is a district captain
Any number ending in a double zero (i.e 100) is a district lieutenant
Any number ending in ten (i.e. 110) is a sergeant
Numbers from 600-999 are used by Traffic Control or other specialized units

Alpha and Other Designators:
ADAM - Administration
ADAM 1 - Mayor
ADAM 2 - Manager of Public Safety
ADAM 3 - Chief of Police
BAKER - Support Services
CHARLIE - Delinquency Control Division
DAVID - District Attorney's Office
Gang - Gang Crime Investagators
HENRY - Parking Violations Bureau
IDA - Intelligence Bureau
KING - Canine Unit (Division of SWAT)
Metro - Special Services Unit
NORA - Colorado National Guard
Post - Foot Patrol Officer
ROBERT - Reserve Police Officer
Tac - Motorcycle Tactical Units
TOM - Traffic Investagators
UNCLE - Detectives (Crimes Against Persons Division)
VICTOR - Special Support Unit (aka SWAT)
X-RAY - Detectives (Crimes Against Property Division)
Y - Crime Lab Unit
ZEBRA - Vice Bureau

That's a great list thanks. When would I hear a NORA unit on Denver's system? I think I've heard the rest though. Also who's the safe streets people?

while not in Colorado, i can relate to training your ear to pick out the important stuff when listening to multiple audio inputs.

when you can tell what's going on by scanning output frequencies of a 30-channel trunked system, you KNOW you have been around radios too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.