Multi. Scanners on 1 Ant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RISC777

epbernstein said:
So am I kidding myself with this set-up?

Does it work? I mean, really work with no lost reception, no interference, etc.?

I'm no engineer, mind you, but it looks like those are two antennas that will receive everything from 150 to 800 MHz, right? My first thought is there's going to be some kind of interference of some kind somewhere. Now, if you had a filter so that only 800 MHz came in on one and UHF or VHF on the other, there shouldn't be any problems other than whatever loss the T imposes, but I don't see any filters.

Myself, I wouldn'y try it or do it. But that's why I asked to start with, "Does it work?" If it works, it works. So long as you're not causing any damage to the scanner - my first personal concern would be potential damage to the scanner, but that concern stems from not knowing enough design theory and why I suggest the below . . .

I would pose the same question and pics in the Antenna forum. You might get flamed, but people that know more will see it and provide you the whys or/and why nots to that type of setup (just ignore the tone you might get in responses). Al42, N_Jay, kb2vxa are three people I would ask this of.

`Doug

RISC777

ep,

There are some antennas you can get that are stealthed, if that's what you're after, that should do you better than what you've got.

I'm in Broomfield, if you ever want to take a look at my permanent mount and how easy they are to implement, let me know and we can grab some coffee or such.

`Doug

epbernstein

jimmnn said:
Holy cow for 800Mhz? Yes you are, looking like major loss there.

Are you unable or unwilling to install an external antenna on this vehicle?

Jim<

Combination of 800 and VHF. It actually seems to work better than I would have thought.

I can put an external mag mount on, I bought one last week for the SUV, but it tends to mess up the lines of my Prius... ;)

epbernstein

RISC777 said:
Does it work? I mean, really work with no lost reception, no interference, etc.?

I'm no engineer, mind you, but it looks like those are two antennas that will receive everything from 150 to 800 MHz, right? My first thought is there's going to be some kind of interference of some kind somewhere. Now, if you had a filter so that only 800 MHz came in on one and UHF or VHF on the other, there shouldn't be any problems other than whatever loss the T imposes, but I don't see any filters.

Myself, I wouldn'y try it or do it. But that's why I asked to start with, "Does it work?" If it works, it works. So long as you're not causing any damage to the scanner - my first personal concern would be potential damage to the scanner, but that concern stems from not knowing enough design theory and why I suggest the below . . .

I would pose the same question and pics in the Antenna forum. You might get flamed, but people that know more will see it and provide you the whys or/and why nots to that type of setup (just ignore the tone you might get in responses). Al42, N_Jay, kb2vxa are three people I would ask this of.

`Doug

It works, how well compared to alternatives I can't say. While I know a lot about business strategy, the non-profit sector, and philanthropy, I freely admit to knowing next to nothing about electronics or physics. :confused:

epbernstein

RISC777 said:
ep,

There are some antennas you can get that are stealthed, if that's what you're after, that should do you better than what you've got.

I'm in Broomfield, if you ever want to take a look at my permanent mount and how easy they are to implement, let me know and we can grab some coffee or such.

`Doug

Thanks, Doug. I may take you up on that offer...

evilklown

RISC777 said:
I've got to find the link or info, but there's a 2- or 3-way 'splitter' of some kind that people here have used with some success. (Unless you've already gotten a working solution in place.)

`Doug

I havent gotten anything yet first i was getting some examples from everyone. That has been great and also looking at the cost i am going to have to save a little for this setup hehe. i think it is awsome because there is examples of cheaper all the way up to pricey solutions i am looking at more of the products you showed in the links you posted. i would rather go with the amplified one just so i know i am going to get the best result but not to sure what route i want to go. right now i am waiting on my other scanners to come in, i bought a pro-92 from a guy 3 weeks ago i havent gotten it yet (hope i didnt get ripped), and i have a 2015 scanner and one other one comming in. what would be ur suggestions on setting these 4 scanners up i should have posted it this way to begin with lol. but i am thinking the link you posted would be the best bet with the 4 ports on it. I just want to make sure i do it right the first time hooking them all up. Thanks doug and everyone else that has posted so far!!!!!

RISC777

evilklown said:
I havent gotten anything yet first i was getting some examples from everyone. That has been great and also looking at the cost i am going to have to save a little for this setup hehe. i think it is awsome because there is examples of cheaper all the way up to pricey solutions i am looking at more of the products you showed in the links you posted. i would rather go with the amplified one just so i know i am going to get the best result but not to sure what route i want to go. right now i am waiting on my other scanners to come in, i bought a pro-92 from a guy 3 weeks ago i havent gotten it yet (hope i didnt get ripped), and i have a 2015 scanner and one other one comming in. what would be ur suggestions on setting these 4 scanners up i should have posted it this way to begin with lol. but i am thinking the link you posted would be the best bet with the 4 ports on it. I just want to make sure i do it right the first time hooking them all up. Thanks doug and everyone else that has posted so far!!!!!

With no question I recommend a Stridsberg 4-port multicoupler. Specifically their MCA204M.

`Doug

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
RISC777 said:
That's good to know, and a good point on the up front aspect. So at least you're one person that's experienced a noticeable change with and without term.s on the open ports. (Especially since we don't all have at our hands many dollars worth of the proper test equipment. ~grin~)
Hey! I resemble that last remark! {VB GRIN!} I've still got all the test equipment from my old Electronics / Stereo Repair shop and *occasionally* I actually take the time to dig it out and use it. While I wasn't able to get *all* the way freq-wise testing the VHF/UHF multicouplers I was able to do so with the HF ones and was *very* pleasantly pleased to find that the people at Stridsberg weren't `just blowing smoke', so to speak, about how well their stuff works. It was also nice to find out that I wasn't `just hearing things' when I decided to use the terminators.

All of mine are in use, so I think I'll pull one or two off and see if things have changed since the last time I looked at this for myself and see if I notice anything. I guess if you use all ports it's kind of a moot point.
When I first went with the Stridsberg units I, too, had all the ports occupied and didn't notice anything amiss. But, when I decided that I was probably going to possibly be needing more `expansion room' and went and bought my second MCA208M and a MCA202M and hooked them into the `string' I noticed that there were some strange `artifacts' showing up that hadn't before. Fortunately I was lucky enough, after a bit of scrounging around through both my own `personal' `gangliner' and that of my old shop to find enough terminators for the open ports and after installing them finding that the `artifacts' had disappeared. Now... Just because things showed up here in *my* *very crowded* and somewhat *disorganized* `shack' it doesn't mean that they will show up in everyone else's `shack' setup. I've got some types of `locally generated' RF `running around' here that, I suspect, quite a few other don't. I've got a wireless weather station, several wireless CCTV cameras along with their receiver, home automation controllers and remotes, computers and a wireless LAN, UPSes and high power 12VDC switching power supplies, ETC. all crammed into about 10 - 12 square feet of floor space. I've got stuff hanging off the walls *and* the ceiling! (There is just barely room for me to sit! [I'll be *extremely happy* when we finally can get moved and I can, hopefully, have more room!])

I suppose it's the what I have and experience may not necessarily mean the exact same for you where you are situation. Mileage varies.
Yep! YMMV! {VBSE GRIN!}

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {CHORTLE!}

Status
Not open for further replies.