Multi site feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have been having some discussions with some people about setting a railroad feed that would have two receivers, spaced about 50 miles apart. Is there any way to tie two receivers together and have it combined into one feed? The feed would be for one railroad and monitor two frequencies.

Tim K.

richtidd

Database Admin
I have been having some discussions with some people about setting a railroad feed that would have two receivers, spaced about 50 miles apart. Is there any way to tie two receivers together and have it combined into one feed? The feed would be for one railroad and monitor two frequencies.

Tim K.

No easy or cheep way that I know of.
Someone else may know of a way.

The way we work is you send us a feed that is directed to a RR receiver with specific config info. Each feed is unique.

I can think of several that cost $$$$$$.

You can request two feeds & if you intent is to listen to both, you can use Winamp, ScannerLIve, or ScannerForce.

Winamp & ScannerForce will alow you to have multiple instances running so you can listen to both feeds at the same time.

ScannerLive is a feed scanner where several feeds can be scanned as if they where in a scanner.

Info here:
Live Audio Computer Based Applications - The RadioReference Wiki
Computer Based Applications - The RadioReference Wiki

timkilbride

Database Admin
No easy or cheep way that I know of.
Someone else may know of a way.

The way we work is you send us a feed that is directed to a RR receiver with specific config info. Each feed is unique.

I can think of several that cost $$$$$$.

You can request two feeds & if you intent is to listen to both, you can use Winamp, ScannerLIve, or ScannerForce.

Winamp & ScannerForce will alow you to have multiple instances running so you can listen to both feeds at the same time.

ScannerLive is a feed scanner where several feeds can be scanned as if they where in a scanner.

Info here:
Live Audio Computer Based Applications - The RadioReference Wiki
Computer Based Applications - The RadioReference Wiki

Good info there. I have never heard of ScannerForce or ScannerLive. I did have two feeds, but my computer went down and I don't have any spares. It was brought up that folks were missing the feed, so I got the ball rolling about donating my equipment and other people expressed interest in hosting. I thought if we could link all the receivers together, we would have one wide-range area covering a lot of ground on the railroad. Sounds like scannerlive would suit the purpose just fine.

Thanks,

Tim K.

loco-lee

Multi Locations for CSX, and FEC RR

I'm new to this group, but have several locations that I can use in FL to monitor CSX, and FEC Railroads. I have lots of radios, and was wondering if I could have more than 1 radio hooked to a single computer to provide Fire Rescue, and RR from the same site. Also, can I provide a source for just FEC in Jax FL even if there is already a scanner there that gets CSX FEC, and NS

Loco Lee

lbpd719

a little late to the game, but have you considered a stereo feed?

stream the 1st radio to the 2nd. Have two sound cards in the 2nd machine. Build a cable to take the line out from the card 1 to the left side of card 2, then run the audio from the scanner to the right side.. That's how I did it when I was doing Santa Clara Co, Ca and the central valley..

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I know of a very crude way that will be a pain to maintain. What if you would put an old computer at the receiver 50 miles away in a friend's house, and use their internet to connect to skype. Feed the radio to skype. At the other receiver, do the same. On a third computer, do a conference call between the two and use that audio to upload.

Lol, I know its strange, but maybe, just maybe, it might work.

richtidd

Database Admin
I know of a very crude way that will be a pain to maintain. What if you would put an old computer at the receiver 50 miles away in a friend's house, and use their internet to connect to skype. Feed the radio to skype. At the other receiver, do the same. On a third computer, do a conference call between the two and use that audio to upload.

Lol, I know its strange, but maybe, just maybe, it might work.

I would not do that.

Unless RR Live Audio is able to provide this type of service, here is the way to do this:

• The provider would setup an encoder at each of the scanner locations (a computer running Oddcast/ScannerCast or an Instreamer) with each configured to send the audio to a third computer operated by the provider.
  • The third computer would be running Icecast to receive the audio.
  • Next, on this third computer, would have two players playing the audio send the audio through a mixer or a y-adapter that will combine two mono sources into a stereo source.
  • They would run Oddcast/Scannercast or an Instreamer to send the stereo audio to RadioReference.com's server.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to this group, but have several locations that I can use in FL to monitor CSX, and FEC Railroads. I have lots of radios, and was wondering if I could have more than 1 radio hooked to a single computer to provide Fire Rescue, and RR from the same site. Also, can I provide a source for just FEC in Jax FL even if there is already a scanner there that gets CSX FEC, and NS

Loco Lee

Dear Sir:

Belated welcome to the group.

I am currently using one computer with multiple sound cards to stream mutiple feeds. Yes, you can have as many radios and feeds as you have sound cards thus providing fire rescue and railroad. I would recommend only sound cards with a LINE-IN input and avoid a MIC input (thus a $20 investment per sound card instead of $1 per USB sound card.)

If you want to provide a feed that streams only FEC, it is usually considered different than the one the other guy is streaming; but I have found that it depends on the moderator that approves it.

c5corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.