Multi-site firmware update for BCD396T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Anyone heard of any possibility of a firmware update for the '396 that will allow multi-site programming as done in the BCD996T??

Tom WA8PYR

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Upman would be the only source, and he's made no indication at all that one is coming.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking about that yesterday as I was driving from Columbus down to Kings Island. Does the 996 rely on the GPS for the multisite or does it just look for any another system when it looses the signal of the current system?

Also, If the MARCS system is programmed, how do you keep the radio from picking up other/non-MARCS trs that happen to be using one of the MARCS freqs?
While driving down 71 from Columbus I was picking up an analog system on one of the MARCS freqs I had programmed. It was public safety with an id of 232eh and alot of private calls. It wasn't bad listening, but if I was in the middle of listening to an OSP incident I would have missed it when the radio changed CC to the analog system.

Ahhh, it was Franklin County......I should have looked first. Good coverage last night to the SW. I should have known since I was picking them up on the east side of Newark also.

Anyway, how would you keep from picking up other systems that happen to be using a freq. that MARCS uses.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If you have a multisite setup, it will always check every control channel.

Al42

traumacop said:
I was thinking about that yesterday as I was driving from Columbus down to Kings Island. Does the 996 rely on the GPS for the multisite or does it just look for any another system when it looses the signal of the current system?
You can program it to look for certain sites/systems in certain locations, or you can let it listen to everything and receive what it receives.

Gilligan

Database Admin
wa8pyr said:
Anyone heard of any possibility of a firmware update for the '396 that will allow multi-site programming as done in the BCD996T??
I have also been wondering about this. I want to upgrade my 246T to a better handhelp w/ digital but I want multi-site trunking. I don't want to go mobile w/ the 996, so I want to know whether to just get the 396 or wait for the next best handheld. I want to see what kind of new, incredible features the next handheld is going to have...

Status
Not open for further replies.