Multi-wire broadband dipole ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

I know this antenna has a particular name, but darned if I can recall it. (an age thing)
Anybody ?
73s

Attachments

• Dipole 1.jpg
    Dipole 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 39

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
A fan dipole consists of different length dipoles, cut for different frequencies fed at a common point.

An antenna with multiple conductors of the same length fed like that is known as a T antenna. They are often used for VLF and MF frequencies. This is actually a vertical antenna with a great big capacity hat. T-antenna - Wikipedia Republished // WIKI 2

Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I know this antenna has a particular name, but darned if I can recall it. (an age thing)
Anybody ?
73s

For what you are interested, you should also googlethe similar "cage dipole". It may be what you actually want for your purpose.

majoco

Stirrer
jwt873 has got it right - that's a typical "T" antenna with a capacity hat for LF antennas - except that the vertical radiator usually dropped straight down to a matching unit fed from the remote transmitter via coax cable. Works best with a wet marshy ground plane.

A "fan dipole" has a coax fed centre feed point with an Unun and a choke at the top with quarter wave dipole elements for each of the required bands. Two methods I have seen - one has spreaders from the longest element to the end of the progressively shorter elements which hang underneath - the other supports the shortest element on a long piece of rope and the longer elements are tied to the rope with insulators and allowed to dangle below the one above.

I'm not convinced that it's 'broadband' - more 'multi-band'.

prcguy

I agree, its a T3FD using usually a 9 or 12:1 balun and a 600 to 800 ohm terminating resistor. It is truly a broad band antenna that should not need a tuner on any HF frequency. I have several similar T2FDs here.

If you look at the closeup of the antenna you can see the balun at the feed and one of the insulators bridged with a resistor.

Update: I believe the one pictured in post #1 is made by Bushcomm. http://www.bushcomm.com.au/manuals/Bushcomm Product Catalogue.pdf

That appears to be a T3FD (terminted folded dipole)

Last edited:

merlin

Fan dipole isn't what I was looking for. The antenna 'IS' the T3FD and hams in the past had an unofficial pet name for it. Even an article in QST, 'how to make a ????? antenna". Just can't recall.
Yea, back in the 70s, I made and used one in inverted V fashion. The short version copy of a friends.
Have to call them BROADBAND down to 1.7 Mhz. 50Mhz, lots of lobes, 146, lobes everywhere.
The long version good down to 250 Khz.
A variant 2 wire around the edge of a roof makes it hidden, sort of strange rhombic but gain toward the terminator.

Last edited:

merlin

You can make most of the antennas on that site with just some wire and various baluns. Except for the Outbacker mobile antenna.
I was considering Barret's HF broadband vertical mobile, and recall the T3FD used a 16:1 balun and 1000 ohm terminator, the rest is wire and insulators.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think that T3FD is also known as a broadband butterfly HF dipole- at least the description you gave is quite similar...

Mike

prcguy

That's a different antenna, more like a terminated loop. A T2FD and T3FD are "traveling wave" antennas and a loop is a loop but the one shown above and a terminating resistor to help absorb reflections and improve VSWR over a large frequency range. The B&W ACS broad band end fed V, which is basically the same as the BBTD above but in a triangle shape instead of a square. Barker & Williamson - ACS broadband end fed vee HF antenna page

I have a new in box A&W ACS that I plan on testing on my next desert camp out.

I think that T3FD is also known as a broadband butterfly HF dipole- at least the description you gave is quite similar...

Mike

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The BBTD "HOA friendly" antenna looks a lot like a Rhombic in a smaller version than normal size Rhombic.

Status
Not open for further replies.