Multicoupler 4 Port MCA204M VHF/UHF Receiver Multicoupler - 25 MHz to 1 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tormedic

I live in Hagersville Ontario Canada, I AM currently running a SDS-200 WITH 75FT OF LMR-400 to a discone on my roof of my bungalow.

I am looking to add a couple of older scanners that i have. a 4 port is fine for me.

MY QUESTION is does anyone know of this product or a product of simular caliber available in Canada. The shipping from the
US is like an additional $60 usd......

thanks for any feed back

Steve

MDScanFan

Have you looked into the electroline multicouplers? I have not used them personally.

I have never used an active splitter but I have heard numerous reports of overload issues when connected to a broadband antenna like a discone. Plus the noise figure, if published, is usually not very good. Obviously the overload issue is location dependent - no strong emitters nearby vs lots of strong emitters. In my area I have loads of flamethrower FM stations, pagers, noaa, etc.

If you are so inclined, then I propose considering a diy setup...buying a simple passive 4 or 8 way splitter for $5, a couple Commscope power inserters at $5 each, and a $30 PG103+ from eBay. Add a 10 dB attenuator between the splitter and amp. That is less than the shipping you quoted and it will have a lower noise figure and less chance of overload. You could put the amp near the antenna (best) or in the shack like an active splitter.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I used the Electroline EDA UG-2802 and 2402 models with pretty good success in various setups over the years, and still use one to this day. This particular model inserts gain only to overcome the loss of splitting an antenna 4 or 8 ways. They are still available from time to time on eBay and are relatively cheap, and worth a try IMHO. Of course you do have to deal with 75 ohm cable and/or adapters, which for receiving only is just fine.

Edit: I should mention that this device is powered by a wall wort type supply that sends power to it via a run of 75 ohm coax as well. The one shown apparently does not include the supply, but there are likely listings that do.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Splitter or amplified multicoupler? A 4-way passive splitter is going to have at least 6dB of insertion loss.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience with the Electrolines and receiving between 42-54 MHz? That is between the two frequency ranges shown on the device. (likely the difference between downlink and uplink on CATV systems). Specifically wondering how it works for receiving in the 45-50 MHz range.

900mhz

Does anyone have any experience with the Electrolines and receiving between 42-54 MHz? That is between the two frequency ranges shown on the device. (likely the difference between downlink and uplink on CATV systems). Specifically wondering how it works for receiving in the 45-50 MHz range.
My guess would be that 42-54 MHz would be an issue passing through these types of amplifiers.. Most CATV equipment uses passive diplex filtering (basically a low pass/high pass filter) to separate the forward frequencies (54-1002 MHz) from the return frequencies (5-42MHz). Most residential amplifiers utilize unity gain on the return (0 dB) and depending on the flavor of the amplifier, either unity gain or some sort of low gain on the forward frequencies on multiple port devices. The only broadband type amplifier I have ever run across that also provides gain on the low pass (5-42 MHZ) would be the Motorola BDA-K1-RA, which provides 10 dB gain on the return frequencies and 15 dB gain on the forward frequencies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I used the Electroline EDA UG-2802 and 2402 models with pretty good success in various setups over the years, and still use one to this day. This particular model inserts gain only to overcome the loss of splitting an antenna 4 or 8 ways. They are still available from time to time on eBay and are relatively cheap, and worth a try IMHO. Of course you do have to deal with 75 ohm cable and/or adapters, which for receiving only is just fine.

Ditto. I use an 8-port Electroline and it works like a champ. I've also used a 4-port model with equally good results. I did terminate the unused ports with 75-ohm terminators to ensure that the excess signal doesn't leak out all over the room (if you're a fan of James Thurber's "My Life and Hard Times" you'll get that).

Actually, terminating unused ports is a step many folks overlook; not only does it prevent signal leakage potentially causing interference to other devices, it also helps prevent outside interference screwing up your incoming signal. 75-ohm terminators are very inexpensive on eBay and Amazon, so no reason to skip using them.

CanesFan95

Another vote for the Electrolines. I've got a 4-way and an 8-way one and they work good. Much cheaper than other multicouplers.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The "A" in the model number MCA204M indicates it is an active coupler. They are made very well and work excellent! I use one for 700-800MHz P25 system and VHF/UHF aircraft with four scanners, full signal bars on everything I monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.