Multiple Antenna Proximity

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
I have several vintage scanners that I like to run stacked on top of each other. When I use the OEM antennae, the radios squelch out, like finding a birdie. I was told it was due to the OEM antennae being so close and that I should use a single antenna with an amplifier and signal splitter to each scanner. I'd rather not fool with that since I have three groups of five scanners each that I want to display and listen to in three different areas.

I made a cheap wire dipole that gives me a nice clear signal compared to the OEMs and I'd like to make several more for the others. How close can they be to each other without causing issues? If I can hang them a few inches apart, I will dig up a handful of old baluns and make up a bunch. The dipole is just a 48" and an 18" wire on an old 75-300 tv balun with coax running a couple feet to my scanner. I will do the same for the others if they can be placed close enough to leave the scanners stacked. I assume (yeah, I know, I shouldn't) that the multiple coax leads shouldn't be an issue since it's good quality and shielded.

Ubbe

When I use the OEM antennae, the radios squelch out, like finding a birdie.
First check that it is actually the antenna and not the oscillators in the scanners that interact. Hold your hand on the antenna on the scanner that open squelch or remove the antenna. If you still get a birdie you'll need to have more space between the scanners or improve their shielding.

/Ubbe

tbzep

Dazed and Confused
Premium Subscriber
They don't interfere with each other until one receives a transmission. They will then squelch out on whatever channel they happen to be scanning. I'm on duty tonight so I will play around with it tomorrow.

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
I have three Uniden's stacked on each other using the 3 scanner desk mount from scanner master. There is no cross radio interference. I'm using the stock antenna for a three scanners. Looks like a pitchfork rising up from behind the scanners. They are all extended fully. Is there any known receive issues with the three antenna in such close proximity? Everything seems to be working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.