Multiple Computer controlled scanners on one P.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all i have a windows 10 pc and i would like to run 2 copies of winn 500 for 2 Whistler scanners and win 97 for my pro97 and Freescan for my BCD396XT. my pc wont recognize my programing cable for the pro97 and it wont recognize 1 Whistler cable but will the other and the cable for my BCD396XT...i would like to control all from my pc but im having issues as described...any thoughts or insights would be helpful

a417

Driver issue for the programming cables.

Good chance the cables have a certain Prolific USB chip in them which has been deprecated by Microsoft and will not function unless you go thru some hooplah and have a copy of an older driver to load in its place.

I don't have those scanners, but there a good many people on here who all run multiple instances of software for this precise situation.

First step will be getting the drivers for the cables sorted.

[edit]
if there are model numbers on the cables, or you can get a part number from when you purchased it, that will start the process. Otherwise it will take a little bit of playing with the windows Device Manager to figure out how to proceed.

marksmith

You might have some port conflicts with that many radios at once and may need to change ports. Drivers and ports on simultaneous radios would be a tough thing for Win10 which tries to manage itself, often badly.

I suspect as long as the drivers are compatible then its possible, but you might be constantly fighting with Win10.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I don’t see an issue. That’s not many devices.

You might have some port conflicts with that many radios at once and may need to change ports. Drivers and ports on simultaneous radios would be a tough thing for Win10 which tries to manage itself, often badly.

I suspect as long as the drivers are compatible then its possible, but you might be constantly fighting with Win10.
i was afraid of that...i can control the 2 Whistlers and the pro 97 with the same cable.....i just cant have 3 of the same cables running...

belvdr

No longer interested in living
i was afraid of that...i can control the 2 Whistlers and the pro 97 with the same cable.....i just cant have 3 of the same cables running...
With the PC connecting out to the scanners, you won’t have port conflicts. I wonder if it’s a limitation of your usb chipset.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I think this should be possible, but they key is the cables and their associated drivers. As you plug in each cable, you should go into Device Manager and hard assign COM ports to each. Then you'll know which COM port to use in each program. Run Win500_Com.exe so you can specify the COM port (the other programs already allow that).

I think this should be possible, but they key is the cables and their associated drivers. As you plug in each cable, you should go into Device Manager and hard assign COM ports to each. Then you'll know which COM port to use in each program. Run Win500_Com.exe so you can specify the COM port (the other programs already allow that).
Thanks!!!! That worked...,now let the fun start

Status
Not open for further replies.