Multiple departments on same talk group...tac talkgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
We have the same issue in Morgan County where 4 local cities are on a single talk-group. There is no provision, that I am aware of, to only listen to one since they all use the same talk-group. It might be possible to narrow down which of the cities/towns is talking based on the radio ID but that could only be determined by closely listening to the calls, noting the radio ID and then trying to associate a specific radio ID with one of the cities/towns. I don't know if any scanners or software allow you to listen to a specific talk-group traffic based solely on the radio ID or not. Even if they do, any time new employees are added, you would miss the traffic as it would be a new radio ID.

Hopefully, someone in your area can help with the tac talk-groups.

Thanks for confirming. That was my understanding but was hoping I was missing something. Fortunately it’s fire so it’s easier to follow.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I believe it could be done with DSDPlus but would entail a lot of work. You would set priorities for every radio you want to hear above the monitoring threshold and those you don't below. You then use the menu and set the program to include radio priority.
CONTROL, Group Voice Calls: Incl Radio Priority

The problem is if you are monitoring a regional dispatch center and the same RID is used to dispatch all 4 agencies.

chris

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I believe it could be done with DSDPlus but would entail a lot of work. You would set priorities for every radio you want to hear above the monitoring threshold and those you don't below. You then use the menu and set the program to include radio priority.
CONTROL, Group Voice Calls: Incl Radio Priority

The problem is if you are monitoring a regional dispatch center and the same RID is used to dispatch all 4 agencies.

I'm pretty sure you could use Pro96Com or Unitrunker in trunk-following mode for this as well; unfortunately it requires two computer-controlled scanners, as well as a heck of a lot of work setting priorities on the radios you don't want to hear.

Probably more effort than it's worth.

Thank you all.
so this has me thinking. So the talk group I’ve been referring to is for fire. So does this mean that all the departments hear all the traffic?
Seems to be the case from what I’m reading. Talkgroups | DMR For Dummies

Does this mean that if I only want to listen to a particular fire dept then I could program the toneouts and use my SDS100 in timeout mode?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If all the departments are using the same talkgroup, they all hear the same traffic from everyone. And there's nothing you can do to filter on your end. Futzing with toneouts means you would only hear dispatch alerts, and miss all other traffic from a callout. Which would seem to defeat the purpose of monitoring the channel.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can't do an avoid on a unit/radio ID, and you probably wouldn't want to, because of mutual aid calls. If you want to hear department A and a department B unit is assisting A, you probably would want to hear the B units working with A.

BenA2013

Feed Provider

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you wanted the toneout to alert you to activity for that one FD, it will work. However, it then would require a user intervention to monitor the response and operations and then another to return it to toneout only.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.