Multiple Mobile Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I am now operating two mobile scanners in my Honda Pilot - a BCD996P2 and a BCD996XT. Each has its own antenna. At the present time, I've programmed one to monitor the primary local agencies I listen to and the other is currently programmed with Federal, interoperability, AL state troopers, GA state troopers. I would welcome hearing from others who operate more than one scanner and how you have them programmed separately.

Metrofire31
Auburn-Opelika, AL
WREX563

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm using two mobile as primary scanners and they are programmed the same (except for NXDN which only one can handle). While I monitor different things on each, as you do, they both have the ability in case I need to hold on one frequency during issues.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I run a BCD996P2 for 800-900mhz trunked systems of all kinds only, with an 800-900mhz tuned antenna NMO trunk lip mount, and a BC246T for conventional freqs mounted on a dash clip with a multi-band scanner antenna NMO trunk lip mount, and an Icom A-6 Aviation Transceiver handheld, rubber duckie antenna when on my airport grounds. I work at MIA.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I usually have one scanner for Fire and the other for PD, sometimes 3 scanners. I use a Stridsberg Engineering MCA204M Multicoupler which gives me 4 BNC outputs from a common antenna with no loss of signal and a frequency response of 25-1000 MHz. The multicoupler operates on 12v.

JDrisc3480

Question for everyone. Does it get confusing monitoring multiple scanners at once while driving, or is it something everyone is used to doing? I ask because I have thought about installing multiple scanners but have not done so for this reason.

Thank you,

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
try them at home for a while first that way you wont get distracted while driving, soon you will know who is talking just by their voices.

SmitHans

Question for everyone. Does it get confusing monitoring multiple scanners at once while driving, or is it something everyone is used to doing? I ask because I have thought about installing multiple scanners but have not done so for this reason.

Thank you,
I would put speakers in different locations, so I knew which scanner I was listening to by what side of the car the sound came from.

I actually do this at home as well.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I operate 3 units, BCD996P2 mounted down low behind shifter in console, sound down low. I hear it fine,
BC246T is up on the dash next to the car stereo on a ProClip. Sound is right in front of me.
Motorola XTS3000 sits on the seat next to me or in its charger on the center console.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Great ideas - thanks everybody! I've listened to scanners - often multiple - for over 40 years and have learned to listen passively until somethintg peaks my attention, e.g., a dispatcher speaking in a more urgent tone, multiple paging tones, volunteers beginning to speak in excited voices, etc. My wife thinks I'm "disturbed" because I can listen to two scanners, carry-on a conversation with her, watch TV (inside obviously), and drive SAFELY - all simultaneously. It's a learned trait!

Status
Not open for further replies.