Multiple NYPD SSD 10-13s today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
So today (12/16/14), I was listening to School Safety Citywide 1 and I heard 5 10-13s/10-85s come over at different schools in different boroughs. Most of the 13s/85s were in regards to multiple 10-52s or 10-34s going on at that location. The worst one that I heard was at Leadership H.S. in Manhattan South confines of the 1st precinct. The agents were on the mikes trying to advise central of a student with a knife and other students involved in a dispute at that location. Simply put the agents were yelling for help and multiple SSD squads and bosses responded forthwith with 1st Precinct units. Nobody was collared and the perp with the knife went 10-90Z However I have some questions that maybe some could help answer: I heard multiple 13s/85s come over and only heard SSD squads respond but no UTF (Uniformed Task Force) squads respond or come over the radio, so I was wondering if UTF squads listen to SSD CW1 or if they or on the regular Citywide PD channels? Second, does anyone know the protocol for notifying patrol to respond to locations? Do regular P.D. unit have SSD CW1 in their radios? Third, How come School safety 13s/85s never come over S.O.D (ESU/AVIATION) frequency? Fourth, Who here thinks officers/agents calling for help is a gut wrenching moment to hear?

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
10-13 is Officer in need of additional help
10-85 is request for additional units
10-52 is a dispute
10-90z is gone on arrival

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks! Makes reading what you posted easier... 10 codes where I live are much different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KC2GSP

I can't give you a 100% exact answer, but in my command, the uniform task force members are only monitoring the precinct division radio, not the freq that the civilian ss agents are using. And I was able to check out a school safety portable radio one day while working, and their radios are laid out entirely different than a PD radio.. Lot of tac channels and I believe only a couple of freqs that go thru a repeater. From my professional experience, the civilian mos put up with a lot of crap for their titles, but do have a habit of always screaming into their radios, same goes for traffic operating on cw3 I believe. Glad the agents are ok

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
I can't give you a 100% exact answer, but in my command, the uniform task force members are only monitoring the precinct division radio, not the freq that the civilian ss agents are using. And I was able to check out a school safety portable radio one day while working, and their radios are laid out entirely different than a PD radio.. Lot of tac channels and I believe only a couple of freqs that go thru a repeater. From my professional experience, the civilian mos put up with a lot of crap for their titles, but do have a habit of always screaming into their radios, same goes for traffic operating on cw3 I believe. Glad the agents are ok

Yeh SSAs have A LOT less standing than a regular PO. A lot of people still see them as "security guards" than actual peace officers. What command do u work for? And yeh I could totally understand why UTF cops don't listen to SSD CW they scream for EVERYTHING!!! and those traffic guys too. There was another large 85 at Midwood H.S. today (12/17) again multiple SS squads and 70th pct units had to save the day, another 10-34 between students. 70 C.O. kept calling no further units but they just keep coming lmaoo. Two under by 70 school

Danny37

SSA agents are not considered Police Officers. They are peace officers, 13s are sworn law enforcement officers only. NYPD police central dispatchers do not monitor school safety frequencies. Most of the time I've heard school safety requesting PD assistance is either their dispatcher/supervisor or a school unit comes of the division radio requesting assistance.

Radio etiquette in NYPD and even EMS can be very hectic, one reason is because they are really busy compared to FDNY Fire. Also I believe in poor radio training as well, you'll find a lot of times people talking before they even key their mics. Screaming into the radio doesn't help either and radio control should be layed down but it isn't. For example someone needing assistance, the unit and the central dispatcher should only be the unit transmitting and everyone else clear the air. Many times you 6 different radio stepping on each other and the poor guy saying his location 5 or 6 times because other units just don't stay off the air. But the reason they scream is because of frustration which I don't blame them for.

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
SSA agents are not considered Police Officers. They are peace officers, 13s are sworn law enforcement officers only. NYPD police central dispatchers do not monitor school safety frequencies. Most of the time I've heard school safety requesting PD assistance is either their dispatcher/supervisor or a school unit comes of the division radio requesting assistance.

Radio etiquette in NYPD and even EMS can be very hectic, one reason is because they are really busy compared to FDNY Fire. Also I believe in poor radio training as well, you'll find a lot of times people talking before they even key their mics. Screaming into the radio doesn't help either and radio control should be layed down but it isn't. For example someone needing assistance, the unit and the central dispatcher should only be the unit transmitting and everyone else clear the air. Many times you 6 different radio stepping on each other and the poor guy saying his location 5 or 6 times because other units just don't stay off the air. But the reason they scream is because of frustration which I don't blame them for.

Yeh yeh definitely poor training and frustration plus they deal with a whole bunch of stuff so I completely understand.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
In regards to SSA's. The research I've done they also hold Special Patrolman Status, aka peace officer.

Now do SSA's ever report to a local precinct? The reason I ask this is my wife works for the NYC Dept of Education. One of the SSA's in her school told her that sometimes they work out of the local precinct if school is canceled. Which I thought it was kind of odd.

Danny37

No they report to their commands and check in with their supervisors at wherever they are stationed to work. From what I understand civilians titles in the NYPD if there's some sort of state of emergency like severe weather where mass transit is affected and they can't get to work, report to their local precinct for assignment. Usually meaning they just wait around in their local pricinct until an precinct RMP takes them to work.

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
Do the dispatchers on SSD CW 1 uses dispatch consoles or walkie talkies? I'm askig beacuse after central completes a message I hear a sound akin to what a walkie talkie would make after the key is depressed? So idk

ff026

Feed Provider
They are using Gai-Tronics ICP-9000 consoles. The. Consoles have the Post PTT ID enabled.

4-crime

I can confirm that uniformed MOS do have a group in the Vertex VX537 radios dedicated to SSD and all of their tac channels. However regular precinct cops are certainly not monitoring those frequencies. But they do have access to them.

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
Thanks 4-crime, I was wondering if that was true or not. So I get why pct units don't listen to SSD but how come those SSD UTF (uniformed task force) units don't either.

4-crime

They probably monitor whatever precinct confines they are assigned to that tour to monitor any school jobs or truancy jobs that may come over division radio.

uhhmunch3884

Premium Subscriber
They probably monitor whatever precinct confines they are assigned to that tour to monitor any school jobs or truancy jobs that may come over division radio.

Thanks again, happy holidays and merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.