• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multiple radio mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

perryt

I have 3 radios I would like to mount on a RAM style mount. I have a Ford F350 manual tranny so I have limited space. I am thinking of getting a ram style mount (RAM MOUNTSMount at WestMarineNew) and attaching the base to the passenger side of the center hump and then the 3 radios (with gaps between) to the top.

Anybody have thoughts / ideas about this ?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The good part about pedestal mounts is they articulate freely and allow you to position the radio stack to suit your needs. What I don't like is the way they wobble around, especially with 3 radios. I have a 4WD truck and use it as such. What bugs me the most when I'm flying down a class 3 byway is to have the radios swaying and banging around.

If you have 3 radios, you'll have to co-join all together regardless of what it all mounts to. Do this. Decide how you want the radios stacked. Cut 2 pieces of heavy (18ga) sheetmetal. Drill holes for the mounting screws of the radios in the sheetmetal. If the radios are different widths, use nylon spacers and find longer screws to fit the short radio. What you should come out with is a nice tight radio stack held together with the sheetmetal straps on the sides.

You can now position the stack in the truck and see how it fits. If you want to use a pedestal, use the mounting bracket of the bottom radio under that radio (with the sheetmetal still under or over the mounting bracket) and bolt the mounting bracket to the pedestal. Or you may want to forgo the pedestal and bend up your own custom mount to fit the truck. It's kinda up to you on how sturdy it is and how nice you want to make it look.

kb9tyc

3 radios would be a lot of weight to have on a ram style mount. I can see the things getting loose and bouncing all over the place after time.

I have 2 radios in my truck on a Gamber Johnson pole mount in my truck and it is like a rock. The only way it moves is if I get out tools and loosen everything.

Vehicle Bases - Car Laptop Mount - Vehicle Laptop Mount

You would need a vehicle base, lower pole, upper pole, and a radio rack (DS-71 plus the addon brackets would do 3 radios).

It would be more money to put out at the begining but if you purchase a different vehicle all you need to do is get a different base and move the rest.

jparks29

John McClane
there is a specific superduty console.... I've installed plenty in medic/utility vehicles...

FHD20WITHFLOORSHIFTER%20copy.gif

CC-2%20copy.gif

Jotto also has theirs, which mounts in place of a dash piece.. Instead of a conventional console...

51.jpg

kb9tyc

Holy big picture. A console similar to that would not work for him because he has a manual transmission.

kg4ekc

F250 Manual transmission install

I have a F250 with a stick too. I have a rack mount that will hold two radios in my truck. I have it mounted on passenger side of transmission hump which makes the reach for the radios a little long. My HF rig is mounted differently for the reason. I have it on a floor mount that holds the control head only in a place where I can adjust dials easily without reaching across the truck. I will have to look up the name of my mount again. It is a commercial mount but not a ram mount. Will see if I can find that information for you. The mount is well made.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.