• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multiple radios, 1 speaker/master volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Has anyone seen any products that will allow me to mix multiple radios audio to 1 master volume or mute switch, and/or run multiple radios to 1 or 2 speakers?

Jason

Firebuff880

jonny290

can also use a low end audio mixer to do the job, looks to be cheaper and more flexible. That gizmo would be better for a mobile install though.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

K8PBX

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
K8PBX said:
Using a mixer, you might encounter impedance issues bringing scanner speaker audio into the microphone input(s). Mixers are meant for low level audio. You'd still need to have an amplifier on the common output...

The specs on this one indicate it also has stereo line inputs.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Years ago I had to do an install on a local PD's chief's car that as one of the specs was that we couldn't mount any visible speakers for the two radios. As this car had come without a factory radio we decided that we would utilize the space in the dash where the factory radio's speaker would normally be installed. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room available for us to mount a pair of decent sized speakers there we had to come up with a solution that would allow us to just use one speaker without using a lot of fancy electronics like a mixer.

What we came up with was an audio transformer that had an 8ohm input and 2 8ohm outputs. We simply reversed the connections, made the outputs inputs and the input the output. To make a master volume control we wired an 8pohm "L-Pad" between the tranformer and the speaker and the radio volume controls adjusted which one would be the `dominate' one. The cost was minimal and the setup was moved to several other vehicles over about 6 - 8 years as it worked quite well. (We actually mounted the transformer on the back of the speaker and had the "L-Pad" mounted through the lip of the dash out of sight with a small discrete knob for adjusting. The control heads for the radios were mounted just under the front edge of the front seat and the mics were hung right next to them rendering them almost invisible unless one actually really took the time to look for them. The antennas were thin wires running, centered, from the bottom to top of the front and rear windows in what I think was called a "T-Slot" configuration. He was able to get out just as well a a regular patrol car with only slight directionality! According to the owner of the shop he had used this type of setup many times on many different agencies' radios over the years with very few problems. I, even after doing several more such installations, was always amazed at how well such an installation could work. The speaker part, a fairly neat and straightforward setup, was fairly understandable. It was that danged antenna configuration that always puzzled me.

Anyway... If you don't want a lot of extra `electronics' and want to just go cheap and simple the way we did it with the audio transformer and "L-Pad" would probably be a good way to go. If you are going to already be putting in an external speaker you can probably go ahead and mount the transformer and control in that case and just run a second wire out for the second radio.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

jhooten

Along the lines of the previous post, You can do the same thing useing transformers intended for PA systems that have a 70 volt bus. Connect each of the radios to the 8 ohm side of a transformer and a speaker, with a master volume control if desired, to the 8 ohm side of a transformer and tie all the 70 volt sides of the transformers to each other. This will allow you to add several radios to the system. Takes one transformer for each radio and one for the speaker.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
jhooten said:
Along the lines of the previous post, You can do the same thing useing transformers intended for PA systems that have a 70 volt bus. Connect each of the radios to the 8 ohm side of a transformer and a speaker, with a master volume control if desired, to the 8 ohm side of a transformer and tie all the 70 volt sides of the transformers to each other. This will allow you to add several radios to the system. Takes one transformer for each radio and one for the speaker.
Unfortunately *1* of those transformers easily costs twice, if not more, than 1 of the 8 Ohm transformers. On top of that one can easily wire in extra radios just by adding only *1* 8 Ohm transformer for each 2 radios added. (Put the second transformer's input in series with the first transformer's input and you only present a 16 Ohm load to the speaker which really isn't all that much of a mismatch. Then when you add 2 more radios you wire the third transformer's input across the other 2 transformer's input which then swings you right back to just a tad bit under the original 8 Ohms. [Actually just under to 6 Ohms but still basically only a `tad' as most speakers usually, even when they say 8 Ohms, range between 4 - 16 Ohms.] Adding radios 7 & 8 and wiring the transformer with that for radios 5 & 6 like was done for the combination of radios 1, 2, 4, & 4 and then wiring that parallel across the transformers for the first 4 radios then brings one back to an 8 Ohm level just like one had with only 2 radios. [I probably could make up a graphic of the various setups if necessary but, it would probably take me a couple days to fit doing so in inbetween trying to dig out from all these snow storms we've been dealing with. {WAN GRIN!} I'm *not* going to try doing it with ASCII !] ) However... I thought the original question was for only 2 radios to one speaker. If more radios are needed then maybe an *active* `electronic' solution would be a lot better even though it can still be done passively with transformers as adding more transformers adds a *lot* of `bulk' rather quickly even as small as the transformers are.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth.

jhooten

OP asked about multiple radios to one or two speakers. Granted new they are a little pricey. I find them at flea markets for about $.25 each. And I have never had a room problem in a crown vic. :)

And I wasn't critisizing your method, just adding another option.

trooperdude

Database Admin
mikea7531 said:
I use this:

http://www.ncsradio.com/m_rx.html

It has inputs for up to 6 radios. I think it works fantastic.

I can do the same thing for $250 less with a $100 Behringer mixer board
and some Royal DB25 PADS into the unbalanced mic inputs.

In fact I do. 12 separate channels (radios) with full dynamic range
control, output into amplified stereo speakers.

Look at some of the pro audio gear out there. There are several unpowered pads
that would work quite well for mobile audio use.

In fact a friend of mine has 4 radios input into his stereo aux input in the car, all with levels controlled with pots on the (really small) dash-mounted device.

Status
Not open for further replies.