• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Multiple Radios/One speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfn

I am planning my install of CB, Moto 1220 UHF, Uniden 996XT scanner and Kenwood TM V-71A. I have seen a thread where the speaker output of multiple devices can be channeled into one speaker but I cannot locate it. Can anyone help with a link or solution? Thanks in advance.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
are you going to switch them, or are you wanting full time audio from each thru it? if any of them have a non-ground negative audio lead and another has a grounded negative lead, then expect a blown audio amp. the better bet would be to install multiple speakers but hide them under the dash/seat/etc.

fineshot1

There used to be a company called fleet radio products that made a great speaker audio combiner
but it was a bit pricey( approx $150 ) but they went out of business around 2008.

It had 4 speaker audio inputs and one speaker audio output. Your gonna have to find something
like that.

Attachments

• fleetradioproducts_audio_combiner.jpg
    fleetradioproducts_audio_combiner.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 11,214

LesWurk

do not know how well it would work because don't see input impedance but microphone mixer might do the job, could always return it it it didn't satisfy you

4-Channel Stereo Microphone Mixer - RadioShack.com

I am planning my install of CB, Moto 1220 UHF, Uniden 996XT scanner and Kenwood TM V-71A. I have seen a thread where the speaker output of multiple devices can be channeled into one speaker but I cannot locate it. Can anyone help with a link or solution? Thanks in advance.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
A microphone mixer wont just do the job between the speaker outputs and a speaker unless in incorporates its own built-in amplifier. You'd be better off using line inputs (rather than mic inputs).

SmitHans

I like having a speaker for every radio. Because the speakers are placed in different locations, I can tell which radio is active by where the audio is coming from without having to look at the console.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
+1 for the RDL stuff. we used the little "stick on" DAs and amps all the time for projects like this. For example, in a remote vehicle that I helped build, we had an cue from a console, a 2 way radio output (for comms with the radio station) and the IFB (with program mix minus) all mixed into one speaker through a stick on.,

Radio Design Labs Product Subcategories

Works like a champ on 12v, set 'em and forget 'em.

W2NJS

The RDL units are great and are well known as the audio man's friend. Can't tell you how many times one of their stick-ons saved my bacon on specialized audio setups. Best part is you can call them for advice if you have a problem.

K9JDN

Feed Provider
Madison County, Illinois (STL Metro-area)
What ever happened to Fleet Radio Products? Does anyone know? Just curious, since their 4 ch. combiner/amplifier product was GREAT! Did another company pick up this product, under a different name? I've been searching for another one or two of these units, but they very seldom come up for sale on the net.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
So which RDL device do you use to combine your speaker level outputs?

It appears to me that you need to reduce speaker level to line level and combine with the RDL device and then run to a new amp and then to the speaker.

Which RDL device?

homeinva

this works for a base set up

I am using the radios shack 4 channel mixer with a set of power computer speakers for the audio output

just hook one radio audio output to the left aux input one to the right aux input (aux input 1 )
do the same for aux input two
set the mixer to stereo you will get the audio from all 4 radios through the amp. speakers
hook them up to the output of the mixer
you can then adjust the audio level for each radio
what it will do is give you two radios on the left speaker and two radios on the right speaker

runs on 9 volt battery but get the 9 volt ac adapter
i used 4 ( radio shack number 42-2444 ) cables to hook the radios to the mixer rca to 1/8"
take the audio cables form the speakers and plug into the output of the mixer There need to be rca plugs to 1/8 " stereo plus ( i used the rca to 1/8 stereo cable and used a 1/8 " stereo coupler to connect the two

works great here

just remember to label the slid to what radio it is

Raymond

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
This is the best way I have found...

BEHRINGER: MX400
Use the Behringer and 1/4 to 1/8 phono plug adapters.
Its small and runs on 12VDC - perfect for mobile applications.
You will need an amplifier or an amplified speaker (Moto made one that is nice.)

If your scanner doesn't have REC or LINE out, you have to play with the level controls a lot.
If one of the radios is a two-way with hot audio out, you might want to buy a car stereo adapter that converts speaker level audio to line level with an adjustment point (hint when using these since they are stereo use one channel [L or R] for one radio.)

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Old thread bump: Command Communications has started manufacturing the Fleet Radio 4-channel speaker combiners again. I just picked 2 up at $200 apiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.