Multiple scanners feeds with one Antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyscan00

Premium Subscriber
Hi all I would like to do something very similar... use one UHF base antenna for both my scanner and GMRS base radio. Can I transmitt on the radio while I have my scanner on or will it interfere? Guess i would also need a multicoupler?

Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Hi all I would like to do something very similar... use one UHF base antenna for both my scanner and GMRS base radio. Can I transmitt on the radio while I have my scanner on or will it interfere? Guess i would also need a multicoupler?

Thanks

It'll do worse than interfere. It'll probably burn out the multicoupler and the front-end of your receivers.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/5.0.0.328 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Two separate antennas well spaced from each other.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
ok what can be used for this type of application? Duplexer?

Maybe, but most duplexers are made for only a single TX frequency, and a single RX frequency... which kind of precludes using a scanner.

What you want to do CAN be done, but it's either very expensive, or technically cumbersome enough that it's beyond the reach of the typical scanner/gmrs user. That would involve RF transfer relays, a multicoupler, and a TR sequencer to switch the relays before the transmitter gets keyed.

You're better off with two separate antennas.

Cable and connectors aside, one thing to think about when running your feedlines, regardless of type, is try to keep them clear of anything that could create interference (ie electrical wireing, cable tv lines, etc)

It wont matter what your using if the interference is from an external souce within your home or shack. Just one more thing to think about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.