Multiple sound cards with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmac

Feed Provider
I have just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, and have created a monster with my sound cards. Under win 7, I had four separate feeds going through 4 separate sound cards and three sets of speakers. Two inputs shared one of the speaker sets. Everything was set up and working fine with win 7. One onboard audio card and three USB sound cards. When I updated to Win 10 a majority of the sound is coming from one speaker and I have not been able to set the inputs to the correct speakers. All the inputs appear to be active on the default sound card output and not on their correct speakers outputs. There also appears to be bleed-over to two different sets of speakers. I have attempted to move inputs around, but I cannot get it work like it was on Win 7. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

johnmac

Feed Provider
Bumping this request - I have done a search of the forum and found nothing comparable to my problem. I have just updated my desktop from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro, build 1809. I have multiple sound cards installed. (see attachments) I have not been able to control the various inputs and outputs to my liking, I have 3 sets of speakers attached to the various outputs, but can not seem to get the outputs to work properly. All sound comes out of the default speakers. I have made changes in the app, but they do not seem to change and stay at the default speaker. I must be missing something? I did not have an issue in Win 7 and was able to control where my inputs went. (See attachments). To the best of my knowledge, I have all the drivers updated to the latest versions. Dell Optiplex i7-3770 CPU. Looking for any suggestions in troubleshooting? See the attached screen shots of my current device manager and Advanced Sound Options screen.

Attachments

• App Settings.JPG
    App Settings.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Device Manager.JPG
    Device Manager.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 31

johnmac

Feed Provider
I had to go into the sound card set up under "Control Panel" and tweak all the settings for each sound card under the recording tab. There was a lot of trial and error and experimenting to get it right. Under the recording tab, I checked "Listen to this device" and choose the correct speakers to listen to the input. The sound tab for sound in the Win 10 settings page would not allow me to make any changes that would work and that is why I switched over to the "Control Panel" choice.

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider
I'm having an issue with assigning default audio devices (2x 2-channel usb sound cards) to individual users. If I set sound card #1 as the default on user #1, it'll then switch user #2 to sound card #1 instead of 2. I used to be able to in XP. Any idea how to make this stick?

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I had to go into the sound card set up under "Control Panel" and tweak all the settings for each sound card under the recording tab. There was a lot of trial and error and experimenting to get it right. Under the recording tab, I checked "Listen to this device" and choose the correct speakers to listen to the input. The sound tab for sound in the Win 10 settings page would not allow me to make any changes that would work and that is why I switched over to the "Control Panel" choice.

I'm curious, what USB sound cards are you using?

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
You replied to JohnMac, so I'm not sure if you're asking him or I, however I'm using some cheapie external 5.1 USB 3D Audio Sound Card Adapters that I got off Amazon years ago. They work great, especially for $2/ea.

Also, I solved the original issue: How to Set Per-App Sound Outputs in Windows 10

I was mainly interested in what the OP was using, but I don't mind learning what you are using as well. Is what you are using still available? Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.