Icom: Multiple Transceiver Purchase Discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm considering the purchase of a new ICOM IC-7300 and a IC-9700 Transceiver. Do any of the ICOM dealers offer a discount for multi-radio purchases?

MDScanFan

The more important question is which one do you unbox first. I have never made a multi radio purchase so I am no help. Perhaps call a couple small places (Universal, R&L, etc) and one of the bigger ones (DX Engineering, HRO).

I do know that on delivery day my nose would be against the window all day waiting for them to arrive.

n5ims

Call around and ask. It just might give you some negotiating power if your preferred dealer doesn't offer the discount. Don't forget to call various stores of the chains that have multiple ones since they just might give you different discounts. Also remember that both radios will probably need to be in stock for you to get a discount (and that often the stores will try to clear out their inventory at the end of the year for tax reasons so timing might also be important). Also note that Icom generally doesn't allow dealers to publish prices below the company stated prices (this may be below MSRP, but will probably be the same across the various stores) so you'll need to actually talk to the stores to have any chance of getting a lower price. They may need to list some type of "trade in" for the discount to happen. This may require you to send in something or simply have them list a phantom trade in so the discount won't look like a discount.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The more important question is which one do you unbox first. I have never made a multi radio purchase so I am no help. Perhaps call a couple small places (Universal, R&L, etc) and one of the bigger ones (DX Engineering, HRO).

I do know that on delivery day my nose would be against the window all day waiting for them to arrive.

I must have been dreaming my self :cool: . Seriously I've been so bored lately with COVID, the election, TV repeats and so on. Since my wife had her stroke back in March, we stay home a lot and don't do too much. I don't have a ham license of any kind so these would be for listening only. I guess it's possible I might consider getting my license at some point. In any event I'd have fun and they'd keep me challenged for sometime with all those options! If not, like everything else I could sell them if I lost interest.

If I paid cash so the dealer wouldn't get dinged with charge card fees would a 10% discount on street price for the pair be considered reasonable?

I'd probably sit on the porch with my gun until they arrive! ;)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Call around and ask. It just might give you some negotiating power if your preferred dealer doesn't offer the discount. Don't forget to call various stores of the chains that have multiple ones since they just might give you different discounts. Also remember that both radios will probably need to be in stock for you to get a discount (and that often the stores will try to clear out their inventory at the end of the year for tax reasons so timing might also be important). Also note that Icom generally doesn't allow dealers to publish prices below the company stated prices (this may be below MSRP, but will probably be the same across the various stores) so you'll need to actually talk to the stores to have any chance of getting a lower price. They may need to list some type of "trade in" for the discount to happen. This may require you to send in something or simply have them list a phantom trade in so the discount won't look like a discount.

Good advice!

prcguy

The IC-7300 is good but I think you should get the IC-7610 instead. That would make for a bad a$$ HF through 23cm station and both radios can be remote controlled via the Icom RS-BA1 software without a host computer where the 7300 would need a dedicated computer to run through.

As for a discount just call a few dealers and throw the question out. I've had several dealers give a discount when I asked and some that said take a hike. The last radio I bought (IC-705) had no discount available from anyone so I called around and found a dealer that did not have to charge sales tax and they had free shipping (thanks Universal Radio!) If nobody will give you a discount at least find a dealer that does not have to charge you sales tax.

I'm considering the purchase of a new ICOM IC-7300 and a IC-9700 Transceiver. Do any of the ICOM dealers offer a discount for multi-radio purchases?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Also excellent advice! I'll look into the IC-7610...or are you using the "Vulcan mind meld" to set me up to offer you a good deal on the IC-7600 when and if I decide to sell it next month? :sneaky::D

Last edited:

MDScanFan

I could be wrong, but I thought the 9700 does not have wideband coverage and only receives in its three ham bands. If so, and you don’t have your license, then it may not be the best fit for you.

Have you considered the R8600 instead of the 7300 and 9700? That would give you nearly DC to daylight reception in a nice package.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I could be wrong, but I thought the 9700 does not have wideband coverage and only receives in its three ham bands. If so, and you don’t have your license, then it may not be the best fit for you.

Have you considered the R8600 instead of the 7300 and 9700? That would give you nearly DC to daylight reception in a nice package.

Yes I understand the wideband limitations of the 9700. I've seriously considered the IC-R8600 receiver for over a year. I have three excellent scanners to cover the VHF/UHF monitoring. I want the extra features of the transceivers should I pursue a license I won't to spend again as much.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You should seriously consider the IC 705 since you have those other scanners. This radio is awesome for listening. Plus its allot cheaper than the 8600. I can sit in my recliner while listening not being a desk top radio.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I doubt dealers will do a deep discount. One, their profit margin is already slim on radios themselves, they make their money off accessories. Two, the recent production halts/slowdowns due to the COVID excuse has created an artificial demand surge that means they are selling their stock as fast as they can get it. It's not like they're sitting on a dusty warehouse floor for months these days.

FWIW, I bought my IC-9700 in July from HRO and the only location that had any in stock were the Anaheim location so they had to ship it from Cali. That being said, I've bought close to five grand from HRO in the last 18-24 months and no discounts were given. It's a seller's market these days.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I doubt dealers will do a deep discount. One, their profit margin is already slim on radios themselves, they make their money off accessories. Two, the recent production halts/slowdowns due to the COVID excuse has created an artificial demand surge that means they are selling their stock as fast as they can get it. It's not like they're sitting on a dusty warehouse floor for months these days.

FWIW, I bought my IC-9700 in July from HRO and the only location that had any in stock were the Anaheim location so they had to ship it from Cali. That being said, I've bought close to five grand from HRO in the last 18-24 months and no discounts were given. It's a seller's market these days.

ICOM has generous rebates on both the IC-7300 and the IC-9700 and all the dealers seem to have both in stock right now. I think COVID causing a lot of uncertainty and people out of work right now has slowed the market considerably. I don't think 10% would be unreasonable. Doesn't hurt to ask.

MDScanFan

I do think the above suggestion to consider 705 is a good one. The 9700 is a dedicated transceiver for hardcore vhf/uhf work and I think it would be overkill for most people - like me. I think it is especially true in this case that a good antenna system is needed to do it justice.

I have not researched it fully but I would think the 705 would give you 90% the functionality of the 9700.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I do think the above suggestion to consider 705 is a good one. The 9700 is a dedicated transceiver for hardcore vhf/uhf work and I think it would be overkill for most people - like me. I think it is especially true in this case that a good antenna system is needed to do it justice.

I have not researched it fully but I would think the 705 would give you 90% the functionality of the 9700.

Plus it would be portable. If you really need to have 100 watt TX capability down the road I've seen 100+ watt amplifiers in several places, so you would get the best of both worlds.

Me, I'm a glutton for punishment; I've got an R8600, an IC-7300 and an IC-705. I love all of 'em.

And my nose was glued to the window glass all day on delivery day (all three times). . . :D

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
If your a glutton what am I for having a 7300 (I had two for awhile), a 7610, a 9700, three 7100s and a 705? Does that qualify me as an Icom S&M radio Bondage Master??

I think we would have to make up a new classification for you!!! :D

N4KVE

With all the on line ham radio stores, there is very little markup. The big profit is in the accessories. Locally, the ham radio stores advertise “cash” prices, & if the purchaser wants to use “plastic” he pays the CC fees. That’s how tight pricing is. So unless the mfr’s have factory rebates, don’t count on a 2 radio purchase to earn a discount.

prcguy

If you want the very best VHF/UHF ham transceiver ever produced get the Icom 9700. The 7300 is an entry level HF transceiver but its got really good performance and nobody would be unhappy with one. The 7610 is many steps up in features and improved performance putting it in the contest grade category. The 705 is a shack in a box QRP rig that has good performance but I don't think anyone is going to call it a contest radio.

So what do you want your shack to be, a top of the line station that you really deserve or a just a cute little station that works ok? You can always get, and should get a 705 at some point just to play with.

Now I'm really confused and indecisive. I better give this more thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.