Multisite trunking with a 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how well this scanner performs when tracking a P25 TRS (Multicast) with multiple sites ? Can sites be locked out and is the scanning speed sufficient to avoid missed transmissions ?

Thanks for any help.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Sites can be locked out. I used the 436 on the Michigan system and it did quite well. A favorite list is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I went on a 750 mile road trip recently with my 536, which is the mobile version of the 436. It performed quite well on P25 systems with multiple sites (Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota). I was using a GPS device, so that turned on/off sites as I got in their coverage area.

You have your choice of three ways to accomplish what you want to do, all of which involve creating a Favorites List for the system.

One is to use Location Control. This will "turn off" sites that are not in range. This is probably your better option.

Second is to Avoid sites that are out of range. You do not need to turn on Location Control for this.

Third is to set Site Quick Keys. Use one Site Quick Key for those sites that are within range of you. Use a different Site Quick Key for all other sites and turn that quick key off while in your home area. If you travel, you can turn that "away" quick key on, and scan the "away" sites.

You are on target for wanting to "lock out" distant sites. As I write this, I'm scanning the Indiana system - here in Louisville I can get a couple of sites. However, by the time it cycles through all of the sites, a fair amount of scanning time is consumed attempting to receive sites too far away.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Multisite Trunking With A 436HP

.....It performed quite well on P25 systems with multiple sites (Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota). I was using a GPS device, so that turned on/off sites as I got in their coverage area.....

How did the ARMER system sound on the 436HP? As I think you may know, ARMER can be a challenge. Some say it is better on the 436/536 than previous scanners. Others say it is about the same.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The ARMER system sounded pretty good it was a 536 in my truck. I didn't notice too much garble from the simulcast sites (Anoka, Hennepin East/West, Minneapolis NS, Minneapolis City Center). I roamed around Minneapolis, Bloomington, Coon Rapids and St. Paul (but wasn't listening to Ramsey).

I had my 396XT inside my motel which was on 494 near Fort Snelling Cemetery. I was picking up the above sites except for Anoka, but got Dakota. Didn't notice any garble on the 396XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.