Murfreesboro NEW TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the additional county sites will be full simulcast or just smaller channel fill in sites?
My understanding is that they will be full simulcast. Also, some good news for you guys, it’s looking like the primary dispatch talk groups for the sheriffs office and the unified dispatch talk group for MFRD, RCEMS, and RCFR will be IN THE CLEAR. All tactical frequencies will be encrypted full time. Not sure if MPD will do the same. I fully expect that the city will be fully switched over by the end of the year. Currently, their side of system is fully operational. The only hang up at the moment is deciding on a codeplug, specifically channel naming and zone formatting for fire and ems.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I have a Whistler 1088 that is programmed to receive this system. However, when it does receive a transmission, it is "choppy" and most of the time it seems to hold on the talk group, with no audio. Signal strength bar is at full strength. Have tried different 800 MHz antennas, but with same results. Any thoughts?
jimg

I have a Whistler 1088 that is programmed to receive this system. However, when it does receive a transmission, it is "choppy" and most of the time it seems to hold on the talk group, with no audio. Signal strength bar is at full strength. Have tried different 800 MHz antennas, but with same results. Any thoughts?
jimg

That would be due to the system being patched on UHF. Since it’s trying to convert the already pretty poor UHF signal over to P25. I’d listen to the UHF system until they switch over for real.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Agree with the simulcast as main reason. SDS 100 handles it fine with the main issue being some coverage deficit spots that should be fixed with the next round of sites needed to bring the county on board.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I have thought about getting the Uniden SDS-100. However, if this system is encrypted, like Williamson County, and also Metro and THP are heading that way, according to what I read here on RR, then I wouldn't do any good!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
MNPD yes. MFD from what we are told also will be too. Total reversal of the original statement they had. But that happens with changes of "management"

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
THP PIO a month ago said no but a lot of other sources still say once the full TDMA transition happens they will go E. Just have to wait and see.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Any updates as to when Rutherford SO goes trunked? Same for county fire/rescue? SO still using one analog and two digital frequencies for dispatch. And still using Dispatch 2.

Aspirin_Dispenser

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that system use will begin in late April in a hybrid setup with talkgroups patched to the existing analog frequencies. The way it was described is that the portables will be on the TRS and the mobiles will remain on analog until fully transitioned. This seems backwards to me and the communications guy at EMA may have misspoke, but that’s the way it was presented at the public safety committee. Then again, I’ve also been told that portable coverage in most of the county proper with the existing TRS sites is pretty much equivalent to what they currently have on the analog system, so along with the full coverage they already have in city, I guess it makes sense. I still don’t understand why they would keep the mobiles on analog though. It wasn’t mentioned what agency would be transitioning to the hybrid setup first, but since pretty much all of the subscriber deployment has been focused on SO, I’d say it’s safe to assume that they’ll be the first to begin using the system

None of the new sites are operational yet, just the existing four in the city. The system coverage acceptence test is scheduled to begin in mid October with final system acceptance scheduled for January 2021 provided all goes well.

For future reference, if you’d like to keep up with the progress on the system, the best way to do so is to scour the EMA reports and public safety committee minuets posted at rutherfordcountytn.gov. Some type of update is almost always presented there.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Portables are a lot easier to hand out, or reprogram, than programming or swapping mobiles. If portable coverage is adequate that may be the reason for the portable transition first.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
If they're using split head mobiles, they may have to let a bid if they don't have an inmate that does that work for them. Or, they may just not trust the new system, so, vehicle radios are a known unknown, let's just leave them in there till we really prove the system out. (shrugs)

If they're using split head mobiles, they may have to let a bid if they don't have an inmate that does that work for them. Or, they may just not trust the new system, so, vehicle radios are a known unknown, let's just leave them in there till we really prove the system out. (shrugs)
Not sure who they are using but if it’s NashComm they come out and program the mobiles for you. I was there when they did it for Williamson.

Status
Not open for further replies.