Murfreesboro/Rutherford Co TN Scanner Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoster013

Hi, I'm interested in monitoring Murfreesboro Police/Fire/EMS traffic (county traffic is a bonus) and am a little lost in the rabbit hole of digital scanners and was hoping you good folks could answer a few questions. If I read the RR site correctly, M'Boro uses a P25 phase I digital platform with simulcast capability. So because of the simulcast nature do I need something like the SDS series from Uniden to cover all the bases and offer some future proofing? Is there encryption in the area making some of this discussion moot? And what about ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN? Should I expect the need to purchase any of those additional capabilities? I've tried to determine from RR if any of that is in use with no luck so far. So I'm wondering how deep this rabbit hole really goes if I decide to invest in a good scanner. Buy once, cry once, as they say. Thanks for the help!

scfr

Murfreesboro and the County (MTRS Middle Tn Trunked Radio System) is partially up and running. Both will be fully migrated over by November 2020. TDMA with some AES, ADP and clear transmissions. All LE will be encrypted. I suggest a unication pager or SDS100/SDS200 from uniden.

Ghoster013

Thanks for the information. One follow-up, if you can answer - When you say all LE will be encrypted are you specifically referring to the M'Boro Police and county Sheriff only or all 1st responder traffic like EMS and M'Boro Fire Dept? I'm wondering if the $650+ investment in an SDS100/200 will lose access to most of county traffic behind encryption in November or just police and sheriff? Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

Concerning murfreesboro and Rutherford county does anyone know if the police use a helicopter and what is the frequency for it? Where I live I hear it making sweeps and was wondering what was going on?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Lifeflight has a bird here could that be what you are seeing as they stay fairly busy.

Netupsar

Murfreesboro and the County (MTRS Middle Tn Trunked Radio System) is partially up and running. Both will be fully migrated over by November 2020. TDMA with some AES, ADP and clear transmissions. All LE will be encrypted. I suggest a unication pager or SDS100/SDS200 from uniden.

Is this from the FCC info? WHO decides to encrypt ALL LE? What body makes THAT decision and who are they accountable to?

I ask because you seem to have that info.
Thank you for sharing it, I am also very interested in MPD and RCSO LE ONLY!!!.o_O I'm freaking out about a 30 year "hobby" being evaporated in a time I NEED to know what is going on!

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Local PS entities decide on encryption. I am hoping they can keep dispatch clear and use MDT and Tac channels for encryption when appropriate.

Netupsar

Thanks,
I am looking into these PS minutes ect and reading up. I'm "woke" to this issue now and will leverage it anywhere I am not arrested(snark).
Times have CHANGED indeed! This is a time to enlist the law abiding citizens help and not a time to shut us out of Dispatch channels.

Netupsar

Hey guys, on the RCPS-->P25 P1 MPD (image below).
I got my TRX-1 working(in good areas) without this, but on my Uni G5 I had to add a wildcard P25 Trunking System and add the cc only.
Does this mean the settings in RR db are incomplete? I did load all channels, even the non c or a ones.
Is this due to being in the testing phase? Brand new to P25 and just trying to understand why only on the G5?
Thanks, got back in it deep it after the world caught fire.

PS: Still can't get it on the 996XT, gotta try the wildcard trick there next I guess.

RCPS.jpg

Netupsar

Ok, here's what I found. Still RCSO MPD as above.
The working Wildcard allows me to hear the correct system.
That info (from G5 diagnostics!!!wow!):)is:
freq:770.11875 same as RR
WACN:781824 diff from RR
System ID:2405 diff from RR
NAC:2401 diff from RR

Don't understand why, but cannot use this on the 996XT unless I can mod a csv file maybe.
No field for WACN.
Am I way off base? Will this change to the published info when they switch over?

Last edited:

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Once they are "final" I am sure the database will be updated by someone to the latest data.

Netupsar

I was rejected from updating the database with the explanation this was a decimal hex thing.
I feel like an idiot cause I started in 1984 coding binary coded decimal.Only spent 33 years doing software pretty close to PPS and others. Doh! I'll change my profile picture to a more appropriate one than Pogo!:rolleyes:

Netupsar

The G5 will not trunk, can't find the cc with FFFFF FFF or FFFFF 3C5 OR BEEOO FFF OR BEEOO 965. But add the 2 nd site and FFFFF FFF in that site with only cc and it trunks perfect.
So the idea of binary /hex issue seemed to me bogus. But<---look at my brain power. Need help,lol.

Netupsar

Posted my working Unication G5 C-band (UHF 400-470MHZ) unipps file in the Unication code plug page if anyone needs it.
Also conventional RCSO is in there (the code plug) as well as MFD Digital TGID 4001 and a wildcard MFD TGID 14001.

Account: unicustomer
Password: unication

Netupsar

The RCPS P25P1 system is P2 per my SDS200 which picks it up great. SDS200 even shows P25P2 and Slot 1 or Slot 2.
So, how many others tried to get it with a 996XT, or HP1 or any P1 device? Well it is mislabeled as P1.
Not sure why, I guess no one cares but me?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The RCPS P25P1 system is P2 per my SDS200 which picks it up great. SDS200 even shows P25P2 and Slot 1 or Slot 2.
So, how many others tried to get it with a 996XT, or HP1 or any P1 device? Well it is mislabeled as P1.
Not sure why, I guess no one cares but me?
All you need to do is make a simple submission not be a JA about it on the forums bro. This is how things get fixed, not getting it twisted.

Netupsar

Sorry I am abrasive, I have a knack. :rolleyes:

I am a newby, I have been out of scanning since my BCD15X and 246T were new. I don't consider myself an authority. I have made many mistakes, so don't take my word. (<----see avatar)
But another member did message me a while back and mention it was mislabeled as P1, but was in fact P2.

I will make a submission when I have more data. And, the "no one cares" was because not many local scanners in the Boro are posting,and an established member matter of factly noted it was mislabeled.

BTW: hearing RCSO simulcast on TGID 11001 of the RCPSP25P1("2") system in last two days.

Sorry I was not more cordial.

Status
Not open for further replies.