Murphy, NC - Outdated 911 system close to shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Now this is funny....I'm going up there this weekend to look at some property that is for sale. Maybe they need a consultant....j/k.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Solution that the sheriff is trying to wrangle in, and the best choice for them funding wise.... VIPER! Go digital and get FEMA & DHS grants. Join on the VIPER fully. They have not mentioned this yet, but if they are not thinking VIPER, they are seriously not thinking lol.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Looks like they have not only radio problems but also 911/phone switch issues. They need a lot of help.

gcr33

They want funding for VIPER for sure. Maybe the Sheriff has to apply for grants. But since everyone is related to one another there oh well. A good night out is the Wal*Mart

GKolo

I feel bad for the dispatchers, I know how bad it sucks when your 911 lines or your CAD goes away during a shift.
I listen to Cherokee county all the time and they have some interesting calls and seem to do a very good job over there.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Cherokee Co has an pretty good setup. Transylvania, and Buncombe have some pretty State of the Art setups too. Asheville will have it really tight once all the new upgrades to the system get done.

trumpetman

Database Admin
If they ever get done.... Asheville still hasn't gotten a timeline on the big transition. It would seem to me that biggest concern is the 911 system first, radio system second for Cherokee/Murphy. It would be a bit pointless to get funding for VIPER when they're still barely able to answer 911 calls reliably. Plus, VIPER still has a long way to go for the western counties, Haywood County is just now getting on the "to-do" list recently.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Good ideas!

I totally agree Viper is the way to go.

Yet you still have to look at the cost of maintaining a VHF narrowband system in 2013 for paging purposes. Not to mention CAD and data back-up systems.

I personally think you will see within the coming months as 2013 gets near, a lot of smaller rural counties will face this similar situation. I am not just talking about North Carolina I am talking United States wide.

I like rural small North Carolina Counties, but there has got to be away for them to get creative and get grants and money like the bigger cities do.

I don't think you will see the State helping to much, because of the critical financial situation that it is in right now. I work for the State, and I don't even know if I will have a job the first of the new budget year or not.

I talked to a radio rep today at the fire school, and he advised me that several counties he works and serves has already began the process of securing funding and grants to purchase Viper Radios and licensing narrow band frequencies before the deadline.

I wish the Federal Government would do more research on how smaller less financially able counties and cities are to handle this type of equipment replacement at one time.

I know I am going to draw fire with the last comment. But like I always say if it is not broke then don't try and fix it.

I agree with a county or agency going narrow band if the current system in place is obselete and not working and is causing interference to other counties and/or users. Not just to waste money on a new system because they are being told to.

I am not trying to incite a heated riot here. Just my comments

Just my thoughts

David

radiofan1

Using 800MHz in and around the mountainous area of Asheville is cost prohibitive to be polite. Anyone who endorses such is RF ignorant. "Hey, lets use PCS freqs, they'll work great!!!"
Of course, if you throw enough infrastructure at it it will work, and who has the money to do that? Who loses and who gains? motorola obviously gains, YOU the taxpayer LOSES. Do any of you consider it to be financially responsible to endorse such, knowing Homeland Security money is actually federal deficit?

:roll:

How STUPID---EFJ radios suck.

"Q: Do I have to buy a certain brand of radio to operate on the VIPER network?
A: No. VIPER is the expansion of an existing Motorola radio system owned by the State, so obviously Motorola radios will work on the network. We have demonstrated the successful operation of EF Johnson radios on the VIPER network. So if a user prefers to use radios other than Motorola, they have the option of using EF Johnson radios."

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I have been in this debate with both Motorola and EF Johnson.

I have talked with both manufactures.

Personally I have always been a fan and beliver in Motorola.

To me Motorola even though more expensive is a true Public Safety Radio.

David

N

N_Jay

Depending on the design parameters, 800 MHz may actually not require significantly more sites than VHF.

As public safety moves to higher reliability and portable equipment, the difference between the coverage of the two bands shrinks, and the ease of system design at 800 MHz can outweigh the small remaining difference.

I know a lot will argue, but if you have not been through the full design process of a multi-site trunked system at VHF and 800 MHz you may be making statements based on bad assumptions.

kf4pep

I don't think Viper is the best solution in this case.

Cherokee County has some pretty damm remote areas, and I wonder how well Viper will work. The system will need to have coverage for not just where LE goes, but where the fire/EMS/rescue end up. Will it work up in Tellico? Hiwasse dam?

In addition, pretty much all of the fire and rescue there is volunteer agencies operating on a shoestring budget. There is no way they could afford an upgrade to Viper for 100%, so that means there will still have to be a simulcast on VHF or UHF for paging. In addition they are all used to paying $500 or less for a portable radio that fits their needs (Kenwood, Icom or a cheap /\/\) and they will absolutley revolt at having to buy and maintain what is needed for Viper- and the weight they carry in decisions like this is pretty big.

Aside from that, it seems the issues are far more console related than anything to do with the radio system itself.

radiofan1

Depending on the design parameters, 800 MHz may actually not require significantly more sites than VHF.

As public safety moves to higher reliability and portable equipment, the difference between the coverage of the two bands shrinks, and the ease of system design at 800 MHz can outweigh the small remaining difference.

I know a lot will argue, but if you have not been through the full design process of a multi-site trunked system at VHF and 800 MHz you may be making statements based on bad assumptions.

Spoken like a true motorola project manager. :roll:

N

N_Jay

/\/\Jay, what kind of prop study software do you use, CrackPipe version 1?

:D

Ignoring the stupid part of the comment (probably should ignore it all based on the source, but) it depends on the project;
Comstudy
Raptor
ATDI
EDX
and have done physical surveys also.

Of course coverage ins not the only issue.
You also have environmental noise, antenna efficiency, and frequency availability as well as combiner cost and efficiency to consider.

And you?
Your assumption is based on?

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
It is anybodies guess if Viper will work?

It will take some time. There is going to be 240 Viper Sites Statewide.

According to the lastest release the next Viper Sites will be coming to Haywood County.

That is still a good ways from Cherokee County.

Time will tell

David

kf4pep

It is anybodies guess if Viper will work?

According to the lastest release the next Viper Sites will be coming to Haywood County.

Interestingly enough, Heath Shulers recently released earmark requests for 2010 include $2,100,000 for upgrading Haywood Counties radio system.......

Status
Not open for further replies.