Murs activity in connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMA

Does anyone have any thoughts or observations on MURS activity in their respective areas?

Though a licensed ham since the mid-nineties, it was not until a few months ago that I became active in the hobby again. Though in existence since 2000 (I believe), I was not aware the FCC had set aside these MURS frequencies for unlicensed use until I read about it as I became active in the radio hobby again as of late last year. By all accounts, MURS seemed intriguing for various reasons, including the fact it did not require a license and it was located in the coveted VHF part of the spectrum.

So, until yesterday, I had not made a contact in the MURS frequencies, though on occasion I monitored business activity in the "upper" MURS channels. Late last night, while scanning some of my favorite frequencies (and awaiting a fellow ham's call on 446.000), I heard a gentleman calling on MURS 1 from a location about 10-15 miles away (if not more!). Excited, I answered the call and enjoyed a very nice QSO for several minutes. We talked about the band, equipment in use, and the state of affairs of unlicensed radio communications in the area. I was glad to hear there are a few "regulars" operating in the MURS frequencies, and kindly invited me to join.

The QSO fun, however, was short lived. The caliber of this gentleman's radio manners, however, was unfortunately eclipsed by the sudden appearance of one of these regulars--we'll call him Rick--who in my opinion represents all what's wrong with radio. It appears "Rick" is known for his "loud" signal--and one which he proclaims can be heard all the way to Boston (even though he is located in central CT). His modulation was strident, and reminiscent of those linearly-amplified signals that were so prevalent in the 11 meters band back when I got started in radio. Rick was loud, hostile and rude to this nice gentleman, and apparently took offense of the gentleman's remark that he (Rick) was unable to hear my signal (even though I could hear his). He made some strange, obnoxious noises and used strange "VHF cb lingo" while repeatedly keying throughout our ongoing QSO, even though here we were trying to get him to participate in the exchange! The sad part is that he was one of those "regulars" and, for the life of me, I cannot imagine who'd want to hang out with this guy on the band.

Boy, did that leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. After listening to the way he treated the gentleman, I had no desire to remain on the air for the rest of the night. I reassured my new friend it had been a pleasure to speak to him that night and that I would look forward to speak on the radio with him again. The gentleman was equally disappointed (and clearly embarrassed about the incident) and reciprocated with kind 73s. The truth is, I could not believe some of the same shenanigans that sometimes plague 11 meters appear to have found their way into this new VHF "cb service."

Has anyone experienced anything similar? How's the state of MURS trafffic in your localities? Where do you see MURS going?

Regards,

JMA-

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
JMA;
First of all, welcome to Radio Reference if it has not already been said! You and I seem to have a few things in common. I too was licensed in the mid 90s, and also had what I call a "hibernation" period from the hobby. I came back around 2004 or so. The MURS channels are pretty much the VHF version of the 11 meter band, sad to say. I wish I could tell you that your experience was unique but unfortunately, it isn't. The VHF band is a coveted piece of spectrum as you say. I am also licensed for GMRS. Here too you will find just about anyone and everyone licensed and unlicensed. This is mainly because of those darling little bubble pack sets that can be purchased just about anywhere. I use GMRS on a limited basis with the family when out on a park or taking 2 cars on a trip to stay in touch, ect... For serious conversations, I go on Ham radio simplex or the local repeater. 3 out of the 5 members of our home are licensed Hams. ( Wife, 1 daughter, and me). So, I have come to the decision that we will find our fun radio time where ever we can and if we find a "rick" type, we simply move on. MURS/GMRS is fun to monitor at times though. Some people who buy and use these bubble pack sets carry on sometimes like nobody is listening and they have their very own private channel. LOL....makes for some interesting and sometimes humorous listening.

Manny

JMA

Thanks!

N1SQB:

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to hang out here. I agree with your post about moving on when the "Ricks" of the world rear their ugly heads! ha ha -

Seriously, it's nice your family's into radio. I hope to get my 10 year old boy and 6 year old girl into radio, maybe get them started with some easy to use FRS units to play around the yard during the weekend--

Hope to catch up again with you soon!

P/S: love the license plate!

73s

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Pleasure to meet you too.

The license plate was not that hard to do. Being a photographer, it was right up my alley. I took a picture of it with my DSLR, used some post editing software to balance, trim, brighten ect....and then uploaded it here as my avatar. Yeah, the family involvement is not easy as modern electronics compete constantly with Ham radio. But, when my girls hear me tuning in to people from across the country and other parts of the world, their eyes light up brighter than a light bulb. I try not to use FRS or GMRS too much mainly because of experiences like the ones you had. talk to you soon! Once again, welcome!

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.