• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS Assistance Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmoney101

I know that MURS radios cannot exceed 2 watts. They cost about $175+. I have found a Two-Way radio that is User-Programmable that I can program to that frequency/frequencies. But, its 5 watts, when I program it will it go down to 2 watts or can I use it?

Just trying to save money! (These are about $50-$75)

nd5y

You can use whatever kind of radio you want to but it won't be legal unless the label on the radio says it is FCC Part 95 certified for MURS use.
If the radio puts out 5 watts and is capable of being programmed on other frequencies then it can't be Part 95 certified and can't be legally used on MURS.

methusaleh

The Dakota radios sell for around $75-$80 and are MURS certified.

That's precisely what I was going to recommend.

Or the older Columbia ones, they run off AA batteries, they can be found dirt cheap when they do pop up, I had a bunch of them and I think I got no more than $10 a pair the last time I found some and put them on eBay.

CaptDan

Can & May you are 2 different questions

Can you - yes without a doubt you can - and unless you are creating a problem using the radio - I seriously doubt anyone would ever questions you.

May you - no as stated above - it is not legal.

I know many will disagree and explain what a law breaker I might be - but I drive a car that can go 125 mph in a 35 mph zone, but I only go 35mph. As long as I don't speed - no one cares how fast my could go. If your radio works properly on a particular frequency and you use it properly on that frequency - I doubt any one will ever bother you.

my computer = my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.