• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS - Do you use it? How often do you hear traffic?

MiCon

Mike
I don't use it, but as a radio enthusiast I like to listen. I used to use FRS when I needed two-way comms. Mostly for traveling with the kids, or working on a project where talking to my partner wasn't possible. I don't have a current need for two-way comms now, but if I had a specific need I'd probably go with MURS because most everyone uses FRS for everything: stores, manufacturing, schools, kids, social activities, traffic control. It's become the CB of UHF. As for what I hear, it depends on where I am. Where I used to live, there was quite a bit of business activity. Where I live now, not so much. In my opinion, FRS is much more popular because they're small, cheap, and available at any general merchandise store, and most of the common folk don't even know MURS exists.

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
It may seem that I'm rambling on about everything except the current topic. However, I figure, since the discussion is on the MURS channels, the Red Dot frequency sometimes get brought up.
Now I hardly ever hear anything on the MURS channels, but Business Communications.
Of course, the most heavily used channels are the 154.570 aka Blue Dot and 154.600 Green Dot. I hear more Business Comms on the FRS channels and I think I listen some type of medical establishment.
Now, there was a previous forum on 151.625 aka Red Dot. W9NES must have thought that.
151.625 was a License Free. Obviously, that frequency remains a Licensed frequency.

BinaryMode

I have programmed a system in my P2 for itinerant frequencies which is comprised of MURS, FRS/GMRS, Marine and the default CCR frequencies that come pre-programmed. I hear way more traffic on FRS/GMRS than I do on MURS. The Walmart is still using green dot though. FRS seems to be utilized more so by businesses and annoying kids than anything.

Also, I keep the mode to ALL because I have heard DMR on FRS. And I may hear that on MURS one day so I keep the mode to ALL rather than analog.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Up here both GMRS (including FRS) and MURS are fairly dead. There is nearly zero MURS traffic (on three separate occasions have I heard something other than me and my group) and little GMRS traffic (Grocery stores on 8 and 22, something weak on 7, tourists on the first 4 in the summer, rarely a guy and his wife on 14).

I mainly use MURS for communication with family or groups at outings or events so we don't need to rely on cell phones.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
i have 4/5 programmed into my personal VHF portables on 20k bandwidth and low power. gives me a convenient talkaround channel when using them for non work related things and I cant use licensed channels. Out in the desert there arent any users around at all, and even if the off road crowd is on GMRS/FRS, MURS is wide open

mastr

There are several "MURS" users in my area, most of which appear to be using commercial land mobile or modified ham radios and considerably more than 2 watts.

drsparky

There are hundreds of miles of logging roads the 3.5 million acres of the North Maine woods. Each road has a MURS channel assigned to it, vehicles call out their location, type and direction of travel as they pass mile markers. Meeting a loaded logging truck on a blind corner is avoided. I wouldn't drive out there without MURS.

KD4SHK

My local CERT team uses MURS for their communications (drills and the occasional activation). Works well for short range comms.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Our GMRS club have been installing linked GMRS repeaters in Miami-Dade County and the Florida Keys in Monroe County. Our Amateur Radio Club also has a linked VHF, UHF and DMR network here in the Florida Keys. These linked networks are a big asset to share information during hurricane season in these two counties. Rarely hear MURS in these areas but I own MURS capable radios.

kb1fua

1. Do you use MURS frequencies? If so, how often?
2. Do you often hear traffic on MURS in your area? If so, what percentage is business versus personal?
3. Which is more popular in your area, MURS, or FRS/GMRS frequencies?

I often read questions or recommendations for people to use FRS, or GMRS, but MURS does not come up as often. Although limited to two watts, the ability to use a removable/external antenna would definitely give it considerable gain. Since it has opened up as a "Licensed by rule" service I am curious about its popularity among individuals.
Where we live deep in the woods, and hills MURS is what we use when the kids and grandkids come down here to the lake. I have a vhf mobile with an outside antenna, I can communicate with the HT's about 8 miles away. We originally tried the frs/games radios, and it sucked.
Every once in a while I hear Wal-Mart on channel 2-it's like 12 miles away (as a crow flies). Other than that its dead quiet, and I'm glad. During the part-timers season here at the Lake, I have to "skip" the frs frequencies on the scanner, they have the frs freq's all busy! So, I will stick with my MURS.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Murs is just another option. Supposed you have family members in a park with you who are not hams, and you want to keep contact with them ? Then Murs could provide those comms.

Sure. But you said "family of hams on MURS 2" which made me think group of hams.

MURS and GMRS both good options when not all are licensed hams, for sure.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have a vhf mobile with an outside antenna, I can communicate with the HT's about 8 miles away.

On the 2 watt limit, right? ;)**

Just kidding. I mean, that is the limit but...yeah...

**I mean, maybe a mobile goes down to 2w so I'm not implying here, just giving you a hard time.

kb1fua

On the 2 watt limit, right? ;)**

Just kidding. I mean, that is the limit but...yeah...

**I mean, maybe a mobile goes down to 2w so I'm not implying here, just giving you a hard time.
Ummm, yep...sure...
I got you!
LMFAO

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
We don't "officially" have MURS in Canada, but I scan them in my FRS/GMRS scanlist and have heard activity now and then. I suspect it is Americans visiting, or people that have bought radios down south.