• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS or part 90 ht with commercial FM reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
I'm looking for a solution at work that would include FM and weather bands. Storm season is upon us, and I need to be able to monitor local radio for weather alerts as I am usually in a remote building location or loading trucks. Right now I am using my own uv-5r (see my last post) which would not be legal as a business radio. We are looking at getting a few handies for supervision, maintenance, fork driver, and the supply man. Is there a murs radio with FM receive, or would a better solution be an itinerant licence and radio shop supplied uv-5r or uv-b5/b6 units?

mirayge

Power and Coverage
2 Watt UHF radio provides coverage
up to 250,000 Sq. Ft./20 Floors.**
Antimicrobial Coating
Helps prevent the growth of mold
and germs on the surface of the
radio.

That's funny, their own copy calls it a UHF radio. But yeah, that would work for most of us. The Antimicrobial Coating is good because we are a food manufacturer. I realy need local commercial radio and a replaceable antenna because of the building construction.

mirayge

Prairie Farms Dairy has a few location specific business licences that cover HQ in Carlinville and our Peoria facility that include repeaters and mobile units. Am I correct from reading the rules that a single itinerant license would cover operations at multiple locations for simplex? Would it be just a matter of buying radios from a local shop and coordinating frequency use?

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm looking for a solution at work that would include FM and weather bands. Storm season is upon us, and I need to be able to monitor local radio for weather alerts as I am usually in a remote building location or loading trucks. Right now I am using my own uv-5r (see my last post) which would not be legal as a business radio. We are looking at getting a few handies for supervision, maintenance, fork driver, and the supply man. Is there a murs radio with FM receive, or would a better solution be an itinerant licence and radio shop supplied uv-5r or uv-b5/b6 units?
MURS radios do not generally have weather band reception included in their features, however current gmrs/frs radios DO have weather reception right out of the box. It's possible that one of the 2watt MURS motorola radios *might* allow a weather channel to be programmed but I've never seen it done. FM broadcast band is not going to be an option though... 73, n9zas

mirayge

I didn't think so on murs. The only "part 90 wink, wink" radios I know of with FM reception are the Chinese ones. So, I guess my only option is to influence them to get an itinerant licence from HQ and get a variety of units from a radio dealer. Splash proof for some, durable for maintenance, and a couple of baofengs for people that need broadcast radio. I work back in a deepfreeze warehouse without intercom service, and the supply man is often picking cartons across the street at the old Nabisco building we own. If there were an ammonia leak, fire, etc. I'd like to know to evacuate. If we had effective communications they could tell me, "That live load truck is here." But I fear mission creap where the boss just nags me for every little thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.