• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MURS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belltactical

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have some but not allot of radio expertise. If I've posted in the wrong section, please let me know.

I an putting together a security system for a large (12 acre property) and have installed a number of sensors that transmit back to either a base station or an HT all on MURS frequencies. The other unlicensed radios that we tried would t work through the heavy terrain but the MUFS work great at very long ranges for both alter signals and voice.

My question is that the commercial systems have limitations and I have technical expertise in security sensors but not in rf. I'm trying to find out where I can source oem MURS transmitter modules that i can build into NEMA boxes with sensors.

The internals of the commercial is product are an oem pir sensor, no-name Chinese MURS transmitter and a battery holder so I'm really just looking for a transmitter board setup for the frequencies.

Any help would be appreciated.

grem467

I dont think you will have much success locating just transmitter boards. You would have to submit the completed device to the FCC for type acceptance.

May I use my MURS radio to transmit data communications?

Yes, so long as the emissions are authorized in 95.633 of the FCC Rules. The maximum authorized bandwidth is 11.25 KHz on the three 151 MHz frequencies (151.820 MHz, 151.880 MHz and 151.940 MHz). The maximum authorized bandwidth is 20.0 KHz on the two 154 MHz frequencies (154.570 MHz and 154.600 MHz). [95.631(j)]

FCC Rules require that you transmit on a MURS frequency only with a radio model certificated for MURS. You may transmit data communications in MURS only if the radio is certificated for data communications, or of those transmissions otherwise comply with the rules and those transmissions can be imposed on a conventional voice emission. You may not make any internal modifications or additions to a MURS radio to transmit data communications.

However, the FCC Rules prohibit the retransmission of data signals, for instance in a store-and-forward packet network. [95.1311]

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber

Belltactical

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've found 4 oem suppliers out of China all of whom have FCC approved MURS modules, both data only and voice. As for the power suggestion the system will operates off a Lipo battery 2000 mAh x 3 and a solar panel and charger os based on the projected current draw, it should have plenty of headroom even if there's a bunch of rainy days In a row. Thanks again.

welbo

Care to share Belltactical?

Belltactical, I found this thread while google searching for exactly the same thing as you. Will you share your four sources for the transmitter boards? You can PM if you do not want to make it public.

welbo

Status
Not open for further replies.