Murs radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
SOME INTERESTING RADIO COMMS OVER WAKE CO,MONITORED HERE IN SPRING LAKE ON MY BC-996T ANTENNA 30 FT.A GLASS BALLOON IDed AS PART OF SPIRIT CLUSTER GROUP WAS MONITORED BY ME ON MURS (154.6) FOR ABOUT ONE HOUR THEY WERE SAID TO BE AT 5000 FT OVER WAKE CO.THEY WERE SAID TO BE IN CONTACT WITH RDU APPROACH AND SEVERAL OTHER RADIOS BROKE IN AND TALKED WITH THEM ON MURS,THE WERE ALSO IN CONTACT WITH A CHASE GROUND CREW ON MURS.DID ANYONE ELSE MONITOR THEM.

Last edited:

randyK

I heard something similar from just south of Greensboro, I heard them say they were at some flight level over an airport & it was on an Fm freq, couldn't get to the radio to what freq it was on, but 154.600 is in the radio. That might have been it. Randy

Zagadka

Well there you go! Thanks Marshall.

What a great new hobby. I never thought I would need to be thinking I was listening to a guy in a lawnchair. Oh well, I'm off to check the databease for clusterballoon frequencies... ;- )

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
has he landed already? just a few moments ago i heard some traffic on 154.6, I could be wrong and it could of been walmart but im not really that close to them.

Drafin

thanks for the reply,murs is interesting,but hasn't seemed to catch on yet.

Not to sound elitist but I really hope MURS never does "catch on" around here. Right now it's a very nice way to communicate without a license and without crowding on frequencies.

Shhhhhhhh.... MURS is a nice little "secret" in these parts... :)

Draf

Murstech

Not to sound elitist but I really hope MURS never does "catch on" around here. Right now it's a very nice way to communicate without a license and without crowding on frequencies.

Draf

Hmm? Youre going to be sort of out of luck but in luck. I plan on starting a service shop in Lenoir for CB radios AND MURS! So of course I will be promoting the use of MURS in the area. But dont fret because I dont plan on selling 5000 watt amplifiers for use on MURS. My idea is to make it like CB should have been all along. Just a bunch of local citizens using 2 way radio with curtesy and kindness.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber

Draf

I agree. I mean I don't use it very often. But its a great way to talk because not a lot of people have the frequencies off hand. Its great for road trips cause you wont have some jerk jumpin in on your conversation- and if someone does happen to be on the same freq. , they are likely to be a radio enthusiast in which you can have a decent conversation with. I havent even seen a marketed murs radio either- so that makes it all the better. And i dont mean to rat on cb or gmrs because those are awesome as well(at some times). :)

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I have stumbled upon this site and thought he had some interesting stuff but as a rule, not much murs in my travels.

I think that's a good thing.

Yeah, but I meant like ones that you can buy at like target or wal mart. These you actually have to do some searchig for.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I might start a MURS group "which i doubt wont make it" here in Alamance and Guilford, though its not really much of a waste if i could say MURS could be another hobby for me plus still im going to find time later for HAM since im working full time now, I might establish the counties first GMRS group "would that be stupid?" I mean id like to do something great if anyone around alamance/guilford/orange would actually like to form such a thing, MURS and GMRS

Drafin

Yeah, but I meant like ones that you can buy at like target or wal mart. These you actually have to do some searchig for.

You can normally find good 2 watt murs capable radios on ebay for less than the link listed above. The question is how to find them. After a 5 minute search of trial and error the best search results I had on ebay were:

vhf radio 2 watt (for business grade, a little more expensive)

and

murs radio (for cheaper radios)

Draf

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I think sams club use to sell them, well the ones in Fayetteville did, not sure about any other but i dont even know if they sell them anymore, they were like around 60-70 dollars?

Darth

Premium Subscriber
Wal_Mart keeping them for themselves

I don't know about selling them (MURS) but Wal-Mart in Siler City uses them for in store comms.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I don't know about selling them (MURS) but Wal-Mart in Siler City uses them for in store comms.

I think just about all Wal-marts(at least most of them) use them. I know ones in GBRO do.

Last edited:

Drafin

If you notice too the Wal Mart radios are not of the blister pack variety that they sell, they are real commercial grade radios. Since they are commercial grad radios i bet they are grandfathered in on their license and using 5 watt commercial radios.

I'd bet that better results would be had from a Motorola RDX RDV2020 or other business 2 watt radios.

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.