Muscatine County Fireground Frequencies???

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I was in West Liberty today listening to a 2 alarm fire on county fire. Then some of the units moved to "Fireground 1". Anyone have the fireground frequencies for Muscatine County? Fruitland was also using "FG1" we well today.

TIA,

Tim

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
Tim,

I think they use State Fire Aid 154.280 but they are not using a repeater so you have to be pertty close to pick them up.

I heard Muscatine City and Wilton Fire talking on it during the Phelps Cleaners fire at 3500 Park Ave West (about a mile west of the 61/38 intersection on hwy 38) on December 27, 2011. I could pick them up on hyw 61 from about Walmart until I got to Isett Ave (the intersection just past the HyVee). So I am guessing about a 1 mile radius of where they are transmitting.

Casey

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
In addition to my last entry. Not sure when or what system they are going to, but there was an article in the Muscatine Journal late last month (I have not been able to find a digital link) that said the Muscatine County Fire Departments recieved a grant which they were going to use for a radio upgrade to digital radios. I am guessing that they are going to go to MotoTrbo because that is what Muscatine City has and several of the City Fire Fighters are members of the others departments most in decision making roles.

I also know that Muscatine City and County have recieved new radios which I was told were going to be MotoTrbo however I am still picking up traffic on the old digital and analog frequencies. There was a time when it was very quite down here but I have started hearing them again. Not sure if it is just a temporary thing or they are silmulcasting on both systems.

ia_teacher

Yes, it has the emission for TRBO, but they are not using it.

TIm

Hi

I'm fairly new to the scanner scene. Can someone explain the references to Moto and TRBO? I used to be able to listen to the city of Muscatine PD and FD, but haven' lately. I have a digital scanner but just don't get anything on the frequencies listed on this site. I appreciate any assistance!

timkilbride

Database Admin
Hi

I'm fairly new to the scanner scene. Can someone explain the references to Moto and TRBO? I used to be able to listen to the city of Muscatine PD and FD, but haven' lately. I have a digital scanner but just don't get anything on the frequencies listed on this site. I appreciate any assistance!

Motorola Turbo is a digital mode used only by Motorola radio.

I'm assuming your trying to listen to Muscatine PD/FD on the 800MHz? They did get a new license not to long ago with some VHF frequencies. I seem to recall someone on here said they were going move to VHF. Maybe someone locally to Muscatine can deny/confirm?

Tim

ia_teacher

I'm assuming your trying to listen to Muscatine PD/FD on the 800MHz? They did get a new license not to long ago with some VHF frequencies. I seem to recall someone on here said they were going move to VHF. Maybe someone locally to Muscatine can deny/confirm?

Tim

Hi Tim

Yep, I have been on the 800 MHz. I DID hear the PD last night so I think someone was right that they may be simulcasting. I would really appreciate it if someone knows those new frequencies you could post them. Or direct me to somewhere I could easily find them myself. :)

Thanks

JRayfield

Not entirely correct.

MOTOTRBO is a Motorola communications product line that uses and 'over-the-air' protocol (CAI - Common Air Interface) that is based on the DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) standard. In conventional mode (simplex or repeaters), the MOTOTRBO radios are compatible with other brands of DMR equipment. Worldwide, there are at least 5 or 6 companies that are now making DMR-based equipment and that number keeps growing.

Within the MOTOTRBO product line, Motorola does offer two types of trunking systems - Connect Plus and Capacity Plus. Those trunking 'formats' are proprietary to Motorola, but even these trunking systems still use the same DMR 'over-the-air' protocol.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
Hi Tim

Yep, I have been on the 800 MHz. I DID hear the PD last night so I think someone was right that they may be simulcasting. I would really appreciate it if someone knows those new frequencies you could post them. Or direct me to somewhere I could easily find them myself. :)

Thanks

Try:

Whether or not they are analog or Motorola TRBO, you won't know until you listen.

Tim

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
As of right now (Wednesday 3/21/12) Muscatine PD can be heard on 857.4875. It is digital but not MotoTrbo. The fire department is only MotoTrbo. So to my knowledge, unless they have come out with a new scanner that picks up Mototrbo ( and if there is let me know I want one) there is no way to hear Muscatine City Fire. Muscatine County Sheriff is on 158.730 (still analog)

The county Fire departments are still being dispatched on 154.175 (which is analog) and TX on that back to Muscom for general radio traffic. Again the radios they are using must be a low watt because I can not pick them up on my scanner unless I a close to them. If they have a 'Working scene" they switch to FG which they use the state fire aid freq. and again is low tx i am guessing because it a "state" channel and can be used by all FDs so they dont want to be talking over everyone with a higher output.

If anybody has questions about the Muscatine area or would like me to check a freq. in the area let me know. I would be than glad to let you know what I have figured out or can try and find out. I have been thinking about setting up a feed but with school and my location I havent had much time to pursue it. now that the weather is nicer I may try and see what I can do no promises also with the switch over comming not sure how feasible it would be..
Casey

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
Try:

Whether or not they are analog or Motorola TRBO, you won't know until you listen.

Tim

Just checked them both out and they have a motoTrbo sound to them. That is all I have heard so far.

Maybe somebody that is a little more knowledgable with MotoTrbo can answer me this. Why does a carrier (for lack of a better term) come on the scanner every 10 to 15 seconds even when nobody is talking?

Casey

WB0VHB

Just checked them both out and they have a motoTrbo sound to them. That is all I have heard so far.

Maybe somebody that is a little more knowledgable with MotoTrbo can answer me this. Why does a carrier (for lack of a better term) come on the scanner every 10 to 15 seconds even when nobody is talking?

Casey

The Mototrbo repeater may be transmitting GPS information from a mobile. Mobiles can be set to transmit their position at different intervals. If you have several mobiles on the air, this could account for the frequent transmissions.

Also if they are running IP Site Connect where repeaters are linked via an Internet (ethernet) connection, the repeaters will periodically broadcast to allow mobiles to identify which repeater has a stronger signal. The mobiles can be set with a roaming list of repeaters and switch automatically to the repeater with the best signal as they move around the coverage area.

Mototrbo also has the ability to do text messaging and other remote control functions. Any of these features can also cause the repeater to become active. Just because you hear a transmission doesn't mean there is a human voice riding on that signal.

timkilbride

Database Admin
As of right now (Wednesday 3/21/12) Muscatine PD can be heard on 857.4875. It is digital but not MotoTrbo. The fire department is only MotoTrbo. So to my knowledge, unless they have come out with a new scanner that picks up Mototrbo ( and if there is let me know I want one) there is no way to hear Muscatine City Fire. Muscatine County Sheriff is on 158.730 (still analog)

You can use a computer and a discriminator tap to decode MotoTRBO. Isn't the actual Sheriff/Deputies on 151.175(MotoTRBO) and the local PD's on 158.730? Or how is that working?

The county Fire departments are still being dispatched on 154.175 (which is analog) and TX on that back to Muscom for general radio traffic. Again the radios they are using must be a low watt because I can not pick them up on my scanner unless I a close to them. If they have a 'Working scene" they switch to FG which they use the state fire aid freq. and again is low tx i am guessing because it a "state" channel and can be used by all FDs so they dont want to be talking over everyone with a higher output.

The fire operations are all simplex therefor making it hard to hear them.

Tim

WB0VHB

It is my understanding the Mototrbo transmissions are encrypted. The software will decode audio but the result will be garbled audio.

You can use a computer and a discriminator tap to decode MotoTRBO. Isn't the actual Sheriff/Deputies on 151.175(MotoTRBO) and the local PD's on 158.730? Or how is that working?

The fire operations are all simplex therefor making it hard to hear them.

Tim

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
Tim

Nope the County Sheriff and out lying PDs (West Liberty, Wilton, Nichols and Atalissa) are on 158.730 most of the time. However, there are days that I don't hear them or I hear Muscom relaying messages between Deputies who are on different channels, which tells me the have MotoTrbo (MT),but it's just not in all the cars or they aren't using unless they need to be "on the DL" so to speak.

The Muscatine PD is on the 800 freq (just digital NOT MT) that I put in an eariler post.

I think the Muscatine FD is using 151.175 all though not 100% because it is MT and I can't tell who is talking on it. The reason I think this is becasue that was one of the first channels that I heard MT on and it started just as the MFD was switching radios.

If the county does go all MT I may have to try the discriminator tap all though I have no clue how to hook it up. Do you have any idea or would you be able to help? Websites, books for the tech challenged.

Casey

WB0VHB

If the county does go all MT I may have to try the discriminator tap all though I have no clue how to hook it up. Do you have any idea or would you be able to help? Websites, books for the tech challenged.

Casey

You will not be able to decode encrypted Mototrbo transmissions even with a discriminator tap. Decoding digital transmissions is one thing and generally permitted. However decoding encrypted digital transmissions may violate certain laws. And that is if you could even decode those encrypted transmissions which I don't believe is even possible using software currently available off the shelf.

timkilbride

Database Admin
WBØVHB,

When your talking about MotoTRBO being encrypted, are you talking about the Muscatine frequencies in question or MotoTRBO all together?

Tim

WB0VHB

WBØVHB,

When your talking about MotoTRBO being encrypted, are you talking about the Muscatine frequencies in question or MotoTRBO all together?

Tim

I have good information that all Mototrbo communications in Muscatine Co public safety will be encrypted.

By contrast, all of the Mototrbo transmissions we are using as ham radio operators can not be encrypted.

Encryption with Mototrbo is very easy and all recent firmware radios have it built in. If you want encryption with Motorola P25 digital Astro radios, you pay a large fee to have that firmware installed in the radio. Mototrbo radios just require the selection to be made during programming.

Many public safety agencies are looking at $ 4000.00 for a digital encrypted P25 mobile when for around $ 1100.00 they can do it with Mototrbo and have IP Site Connect to link repeaters at no additional charge.

I'm not sure if this marketing has backfired on Motorola since at least two agencies in SE Iowa have or will be going Mototrbo instead of Astro digital for a huge savings.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have good information that all Mototrbo communications in Muscatine Co public safety will be encrypted.

By contrast, all of the Mototrbo transmissions we are using as ham radio operators can not be encrypted.

Encryption with Mototrbo is very easy and all recent firmware radios have it built in. If you want encryption with Motorola P25 digital Astro radios, you pay a large fee to have that firmware installed in the radio. Mototrbo radios just require the selection to be made during programming.

Many public safety agencies are looking at $ 4000.00 for a digital encrypted P25 mobile when for around $ 1100.00 they can do it with Mototrbo and have IP Site Connect to link repeaters at no additional charge.

I'm not sure if this marketing has backfired on Motorola since at least two agencies in SE Iowa have or will be going Mototrbo instead of Astro digital for a huge savings.

Thanks for informative post. Do you have any info on Cedar County MotoTRBO? I'm able to decode the local REC MotoTRBO, but the Cedar County frequency of 159.2925 won't decode(just a bunch of garage comes out the speakers). I'm assuming the encryption is being used?

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.