Music on Shortwave A-20 listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Alan Roe's Music on Shortwave A-20 listing.

--
Mike

Attachments

• Music on Shortwave A-20 All - V3.pdf
    201.3 KB · Views: 38

GB46

Thanks for that, Mike. Oddly enough, however, Radio Nacional Amazonia seems to have been omitted, although they broadcast lots of music on 6180 and 11780 in the evenings. Their signal is usually S9+ here.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
RNA is something I generally tune into nightly ... for the music as I don't speak Portuguese. :)

--
Mike

GB46

Same here. When it comes to music, I don't care about the lyrics, so it could be in Swahili and I might still enjoy it. None of my own music compositions have lyrics, for that matter; they're all instrumentals.

I listen to the Voice of Greece every evening, too, because I'm especially fond of Greek music. When poor propagation makes it hard to hear, I go to one of the Greek stations on the internet that offer audio streams, which I access in my media player. Sometimes I get curious enough to look up the meaning of a title if it shows up in the player's title bar. One thing I've learned is that if you hear the words "agapi" or "agapo", the song is a love song, as most of them seem to be.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Music is what has kept me in the short wave hobby since 1967. Started with The Moody Blues and Nights In White Satin.

--
Mike

GB46

My interest in SWLing goes back to the late 1950s, when I was fascinated by hearing lots of traditional music from countries all over the world. Some of the remaining SW broadcasters have gradually come under the influence of rock and roll. If I wanted that, I could get it from a local AM station, even on a crystal set -- or as some people claim, on the fillings in my teeth. :LOL:

GB46

I hope to pick some of these up when my new portable comes in.

I do get a station that plays like 50s rock and roll sometimes. I'm not quite sure of the frequency.
If you happen to hear some of those foreign stations with very strong signals and little if any fading, you may be hearing them through relay stations in the U.S. I've run across a few that are carried on the transmitters of some Christian broadcasters in the U.S.

Relays have always been common on shortwave. When Radio Nederland was still on the air many years ago, I used to listen to their English-language service to North America -- not directly from Hilversum in the Netherlands, but through their Caribbean relay station in the Dutch Antilles.

China Radio International now uses transmitters in Cuba for their broadcasts to North America, but back in the 1960s, when I lived in New Jersey, I used to hear Radio Peking directly from China on a little portable with just its whip antenna.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I do get a station that plays like 50s rock and roll sometimes. I'm not quite sure of the frequency.

WTWW on 5085 KHz plays classic hits of the 50's, 60's and 70's music several evenings a week. They are nice and strong most anywhere in the US and don't fade much. Perhaps that's your mystery station.

Status
Not open for further replies.