Muskegon "Statewide Fire"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utah_Viper

When listening to the main Muskegon County Fire Dispatch when they arrive I hear them say they are switching to "State Fire." I assume this is a simplex channel that is low power. I have tried all the various ones I have found in the DB with no luck. There have been several of these calls close enough i would think I would receive. Can anyone confirm what freq this is for me?

N8RUS

My 1st guess is 154.295. This is a statewide DNR freq for fire-ground operations. In fact it is nation-wide for mutual aid incidents. Keep in mind I am not all that familiar with Muskegon county operations.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
On a related note, the Michigan Fire Chief's Association, has applied to the FCC to implement a statewide VHF-High band interoperability system, using
narrowbanded frequencies. The application is at this location:

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0004183259 - MICHIGAN ASSOCIATION OF FIRE CHIEFS

The frequencies can be viewed at this location:

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Conventional - 0004183259 - MICHIGAN ASSOCIATION OF FIRE CHIEFS - Frequency Summary

This is part of the Michigan MABAS plan.

Ron

Utah_Viper

What power is used on "Statewide" 1/20th watt?? I am a mile away from a working incident and nothing on any of the frequencies listed anywhere as a statewide fire channel.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
When listening to the main Muskegon County Fire Dispatch when they arrive I hear them say they are switching to "State Fire." I assume this is a simplex channel that is low power. I have tried all the various ones I have found in the DB with no luck. There have been several of these calls close enough i would think I would receive. Can anyone confirm what freq this is for me?

Maybe it's not simplex at all. Have you tried scanning your local MPSCS towers in open mode after hearing this? He may want him to go to a their proprietary fire talkgroup if they also have 800 radios. If it's new it may not be in the database yet.

Just a thought.

Paul

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Also you might drive over to a scene and turn on your closecall.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
...right... it's never happened before, and if someone were to EVER drive by a brush fire, it could cause havoc the likes of which this state has never seen ;)

I highly doubt that anyone on this forum can honestly say "I never went to the scene of something I heard on a scanner." So driving by and turning on the closecall is hardly something worthy of getting concerned about.

I also would be shocked if someone read my post and said to themselves "I never thought of doing that until rdale posted" :)

freqs

Wow you twisted around what I said reread my post .I never said it dont happen but it could cause a big issue extra traffic in the area it could take longer for first responders to arrive to the scene bystanders could get hurt a number of good reasons not to go to the scene of a fire .
Again you are twisting what I posted .

Last edited:

jack3726

Looks like 154.190, now this is for county dispatch, I believe this includes the city as well. 154.235 is in the database, what else was interesting is that several townships have different freq's for like dpw/fire, I am thinking this might be the various townships F2(freq), not sure. I don't see a listing for a fire freq or 61 (alpha) tag for Muskegon County fire on MPSCS either. Do yo know if you can hear trucks talking back to dispatch on the 154.190 repeater?? It might be that the F2 freqs on scene are very low power and not on repeater.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
it could cause a big issue extra traffic in the area it could take longer for first responders to arrive to the scene

One person going to a scene will not cause big issues with extra traffic. If they have switched to the fireground, they are on scene already.

bystanders could get hurt

At a brush fire? How? You'd have to try pretty hard to get hurt there ;)

All I'm saying is that people (in some cases a LOT of people) show up at fire scenes, regardless of who posts what on RadioReference. I appreciate your concern, but any bystanders in the way or getting hurt will be taken care of.

To be honest - I've been going to fire scenes for over 35 years and I've never seen a bystander get hurt.

Utah_Viper

Looks like 154.190, now this is for county dispatch, I believe this includes the city as well. 154.235 is in the database, what else was interesting is that several townships have different freq's for like dpw/fire, I am thinking this might be the various townships F2(freq), not sure. I don't see a listing for a fire freq or 61 (alpha) tag for Muskegon County fire on MPSCS either. Do yo know if you can hear trucks talking back to dispatch on the 154.190 repeater?? It might be that the F2 freqs on scene are very low power and not on repeater.

Yes all of Muskegon County use the Central Dispatch for communications. You hear both sides on the repeater. The only time I cannot get them is when on a fire scene they say switching to "statewide" and I don't get anything.

I have all of the fire frequencies for the area listed in the DB in my scanner; I also have the dnr statewide fire channels, and the tac channels for the various cities and towns. I have not heard anything though when they go to "statewide" even when the fire was only 1 mile away.

gsalogar

From where I listen (central Michigan area), the term "statewide" usually refers to a talkgroup on the MPSCS. Why they would go to a statewide group for fireground makes little sense to me unless it is a mutual aid situation where a statewide group is the only one they have in common with responding agencies or maybe coordinating with DNR. Are they going to brush fires? TG 1217 has been pretty active on the MPSCS with field/brush fires.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Why they would go to a statewide group for fireground makes little sense to me unless it is a mutual aid situation

They aren't using MPSCS, so it is some sort of reference to a conventional frequency.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
True - but you wouldn't go to a statewide event channel for a fireground scene (NCC would freak ;) )

milaw

Premium Subscriber
Cops and Firefighters are usually creatures of habit and if they are told "X" channel is "Statewide Fire" then they will always believe that it is until they are told something different. Figuring out exactly what a frequency is called is far from important just as long as all the users are on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.