Muskingum Fire Vtac ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a clue what they are using for fireground Vtac? I do know they have 4 freqs. designated, just no idea what. Presuming VHF.

I do have the National Vtac/Vcall loaded but so far NADA. Of course use is infrequent and power is low...

Last edited:

K4RMN

Anyone have a clue what they are using for fireground Vtac? I do know they have 4 freqs. designated, just no idea what. Presuming VHF.

Ii do have the National Vtac/Vcall loaded but so far NADA. Of course use is infrequent and power is low...

All four listed right here: Muskingum County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Also see here for their 700/800 P25 trunking information: Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

phask

Premium Subscriber

While I appreciate you post, I'm looking for ACTUAL reception reports.

In 2 years - never heard ANYTHING on the 4 listed Tac channels

No need need to check MARCS. I know they are VHF channels and only 2 townships have MARCS capabilities in the entire county.

I do monitor MARCS on 4 seperate scanners as well as search and record unknown TG's 100% 24-7.

Interesting that the 4 listed Muskingum Tac are the National Vtac, but with different PL.

I'll clear out my radio's PL just in case that is incorrect.

K4RMN

i thought it was a no no to change the Tones on National used Frequencys? all should be 156.7?

According to the new APCO Interop document it is permitted to change the tones to an extent:

APCO said:
2. Subject to the approval of applicable Statewide Communications Interoperability Plans and/or FCC-approved Regional Plans, mobile relay (repeater) stations that are part of a local, regional, or statewide interoperability network may be equipped with a second receive CTCSS tone to provide local (“in cabinet”) mobile relay operation, provided:

a. The relay transmitter continues to transmit the common CTCSS tone of 156.7 Hz so that all users within range of the station are aware the station is in use;

b. The relay will accept the common CTCSS tone of 156.7 Hz and present the audio accompanying the156.7 Hz-encoded transmissions for automatic in-cabinet repeat or to a live operator at the appropriate controlling dispatch facility; and

c. The operational configuration of the mobile relay station is published in applicable interoperability resource tracking documents (such as the appropriate Tactical Interoperability Communications Plan, Statewide Communications Interoperability Plan, and/or FCC-approved Regional Plan) and databases (CAPRAD, CASM, and NIIX7).

http://www.napco.org/Resources/NPSTC_Interop_Channel_Naming-2017.pdf

SCPD

QRT
Why most program rx for csq since allot of boonies places use them as secondary channels and tacs using 127.3, 136.5, 186.2 etc. Easier to just throw them as csq for receieve so you don't have anyone bringing dozen radios in later on.

Last edited:

medic611

Unless your close to an incident within a mile or so you probably will not hear anything on them. Especially if it is like Fairfield county who use them for working fires and all incidents. An inband VRE would broadcast it further with a truck radio, that all depends on their SOP.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Unless your close to an incident within a mile or so you probably will not hear anything on them. Especially if it is like Fairfield county who use them for working fires and all incidents. An inband VRE would broadcast it further with a truck radio, that all depends on their SOP.

I'd wondered about that - whether it was entirely HH or if some was truck traffic - especially with large (area) incidents such as grass fires.

I did actually hear one of the 4 yesterday - the ones is listed as landing zone ops and was being uses with Air Evac and a VFD. I was receiving the VFD around 10 miles away and was undoubtedly a truck. One of those school accident demos.

It just happens to be CSQ so my incorrect PL could not be tested :)

medic611

My bet is most of that fireground traffic is all portable to portable, unless of course, they use a vehicle repeater. It was discussed a few years ago in Fairfield county to do that so the radio traffic could be recorded on firegrounds etc. Then the cost and additional receive sites needed wasn't cost effective. What Fairfield should've done was go Mototrbo like the sheriff's office did and set up a trunked system. The number of frequencies was over 20 and they could have built a quality system. Politics, and funding killed that idea off, and the smaller departments couldn't afford MARCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.