Mustang Ham Radio Install Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowave15

A few modifications on the Mustang install since the last YouTube video.

Thanks for taking a look. I'm also always open for suggestions.

Dan

Attachments

• RR1.jpg
    RR1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 5,123
  • RR2.jpg
    RR2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4,458
  • RR3.jpg
    RR3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 22,418
  • RR4.jpg
    RR4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3,021
  • RR5.JPG
    RR5.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 3,384

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Great setup you made.

I always liked my comms on the dash also, makes for better frequency change and all, without taking your eyes off the road. The only draw back is the thieves can see it and break-in to steal your comms. Other than that downside, looks really sharp and ready to go! Congrats on a job well done sir.

radiowave15

Thanks

The yardstick was not bend friendly. It wanted to stay straight and remain a measuring tool. I had other plans. Lots of force with multiple pairs of vice grips and C-clamps did the trick though. Having the rig on the dash does help keep the eyes on the road. Unfortunately with this car there just isn't much space down low. The stereo takes up a lot of space in the center stack. A smaller stereo would open up some space for a head unit I guess.

The thing that really made me anxious was cutting that hole in the dash. Even after a lot of careful looking around I was still concerned I was going to drill into something important. My next task will be to figure out where to mount a portable scanner. I picked up on eBay a Pro-164 (that I hope to be able to update with the rebanding changes) last week; should be here this coming week. I want to get that in the car too, don't know where yet though.

Dan

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Wow, I'm not afraid to put holes in the roof, but that one in the dash...Well, wow, you got me beat... Looks nice..

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Looks good,but how does the radio perform when the sun is beating down on it?

protias

Premium Subscriber
I'm running into the same space issue with my '12 Mustang. There just is no space for a full sized CB. :(

donny612

Nice!!

I really like the dash bracket idea. Looks good. It's obvious that you're not afraid of drilling holes, so I was wondering why you went with the trunk lip mount instead of drilling the hole in the middile of the trunk lid and using an nmo mount for your antenna.

radiowave15

Thanks for the replies. For some reason (and after a lot of thought) was okay with the hole in the dash. I figure I could mount a gauge cluster there if ever sell the car. A hole in the sheet metal still scares me on this car. I've had other cars where I did cut metal holes though.

I wanted to mount the radios up on the dash but after a lot of searching I couldn't locate a professional mount that did this. ProClip should make one of these.

Dan

KE6ZRI

Premium Subscriber
Overhead mounting

I have a 03 Honda accord with a good install..If you have a overhead map light fixture that can be removed, then remove it. If you can be without it as I could I at first had a scanner mounted there but now have my remote mount dual band yaesu face plate, and two mini speakers there also to put out the audio on the two devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.