Muting Scanner Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am interested in getting some thoughts about muting the audio from your scanner .. and wondering how you guys do it ?

I personally wish that the Whistler had a MUTE button. Don't bother saying to turn up and down the volume, that is not the intention of this thread. :wink:

My old Uniden 780XLT has a one button mute option .. just saying.

I have a feeling a switch to mute my external speakers (ham rig and scanner) in my car will be the option in the end.

I am particular interested in products that deal with this issue.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Do you have a button which when pressed switches away from scanning audio to perform it's function?

On my BCD436HP I can just press the "ZIP" button (used to enter a zip code) which disconnects the audio (or I just turn it down). The Home Patrol 2 actually has a mute button (that I seem to hit accidentally more than I actually use it)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler mute options

On my WS1080 I simply press "menu" when coming up to a drive thru or need to quiet it. Then "menu" again and scan.

Swipesy

On my WS1080 I simply press "menu" when coming up to a drive thru or need to quiet it. Then "menu" again and scan.

That is what I do on my PSR 800 also. It is a pain but it is the only method I know of that quickly mutes the radio by stopping the scanning function.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the replies.

My 1095 is actually removed from my vehicle right now due to performance issues .. so not an issue right now. I am still working on a plan to see how to make it work in the vehicle.

DJ11DLN

Another vote for using the menu key at the drive-up or any other time I need it to be quiet quickly. It's a cumbersome workaround at best.

I too would love to see a mute key added to these radios...better yet, soft key ability so that one could assign functions (such as mute) in E-Z Scan. I don't know if the hardware and processor are capable of that but it would certainly solve a number of issues.

SCPD

QRT
I have decided .. my answer, 2 switches inline with the external speakers.

Way easier than doing anything on the scanner.

The issue .. when I am driving I do not want to have to mess with the scanner cause getting into an accident is way more expensive than any scanner mod. It is already bad that I could be faced with a $300 distracted driving fine for having my scanner in my car.

Ed6698

I also use the Menu key for a way to mute the sound. Then all you have to press Sel key to Scan again and to get back to listening.

SCPD

QRT
I also use the Menu key for a way to mute the sound. Then all you have to press Sel key to Scan again and to get back to listening.

I get it .. but that is enough to get into a car accident when mobile. If it was not that my Edacs system is going away .. I would be installing my Edacs radio in my car. Now that is a real well designed radio. ;)

But no point now. :mad: But its ok .. I will not be listening to the P25 replacement, so only a short period of time to use the scanner in the car anyways.

SCPD

QRT
I need to 100% be able to control when to turn the audio on and off as needed. I am likely going to install this on Tuesday. But .. it may be a few weeks until I can use my WS-1095 in my vehicle as I am waiting for a band pass filter to fix its performance issues. Right now .. it is unusable.

The biggest concern here is a safety one so I have to be very careful what I do, and why an on scanner option is not an option. I almost never go on the highway .. and 2 seconds worth of distraction in the city can mean an accident.

CycleSycho

:wink: Does a load have to be connected in the form of a resistor when you 'open' the speaker connection with a switch? Not having the schematic in front of me, it may be unwise to just disconnect a wire (open the connection using a switch) with a load missing. :wink:

Ubbe

Modern ICs for loudspeaker amplifiers are shortcircuit, current and temperature protected. Put a 100 ohm resistor over the terminals to stop any loud thumps when switching in the loudspeaker.

/Ubbe

SCPD

QRT
I will keep this all in mind when doing my solution.

My bandpass filter has shipped .. so hopefully I can put the WS-1095 back in my car and it will actually work.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
edmscan,
from your other thread, as I understand it you do not receive anything on your scanner while mobile, so why do you need to mute it???

Status
Not open for further replies.