Mutual Aid Calling/8call90 strong signal but only noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Every day, multiple times throughout the day, 8call90 (156.7 PL) comes in with a full signal for anywhere from several seconds to a minute or more. Then it goes away. I live in Daytona Beach near I-4, using a pro-197 and an attic mounted ST-2.

Here's an example of what it sounds like: http://184.91.74.173:8080/2012_03_02_15_35_32%20%208CALL90.mp3 I turned off attenuation when I started receiving it, that's the pop noise.

Why is this happening? Any input? I have heard the state (or someone) do voice testing on 8call90 a month or so ago and it sounded fine. Thanks for any help.

csfd784

Premium Subscriber
8cal90

Sounds to me like someone is bored and keying their mic.... I monitor this channel often and there is not a normal "test" or reason why that would happen.....

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
On our radios we can change from repeater to simplex for short range and that might have something to do with your problem.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
On our radios we can change from repeater to simplex for short range and that might have something to do with your problem.

I understand what simplex is but I don't understand what you're trying to tell me, exactly. Sorry for my lack of experience. Can you go into more detail please?

To give an idea of how often this is occurring, it happened at least 20 times today between 01:00 and 19:48 tonight.

Last edited:

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
I understand what simplex is but I don't understand what you're trying to tell me, exactly. Sorry for my lack of experience. Can you go into more detail please?

To give an idea of how often this is occurring, it happened at least 20 times today between 01:00 and 19:48 tonight.[/QUOTE]

some agency's have the capitally of using simplex on the repeater output frequency also there different types of digital signals that are not P-25 and that might be what you are hearing.

mk262

Premium Subscriber

To give an idea of how often this is occurring, it happened at least 20 times today between 01:00 and 19:48 tonight.

some agency's have the capitally of using simplex on the repeater output frequency also there different types of digital signals that are not P-25 and that might be what you are hearing.[/QUOTE]

How do you determine the repeater output frequency? Also I have the channel set to auto so I will pick up whatever the signal is (p25, analog, csq, etc).

radiomanNJ1

8call90 should not be programmed for simplex ie:talk around-direct.
8tac91 to 94 are allowed to have simplex and repeat.

But anyway what does repeater or simplex have to do with a repeater being keyedup?

KG4YNH

And remember, it can be keyed up from virtually anywhere in Florida via the FIN network also. All it takes is a click of the mouse from a FIN console.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
8call90 should not be programmed for simplex ie:talk around-direct.

Yep the Region 9 plan in Florida does state that, but other region plans are different. I was reminded that when I made a comment on the NIFOG a few years ago about the use of direct on the calling channel where it does show 8CALL90D as a valid conventional channel on page 33.

jim202

Yep the Region 9 plan in Florida does state that, but other region plans are different. I was reminded that when I made a comment on the NIFOG a few years ago about the use of direct on the calling channel where it does show 8CALL90D as a valid conventional channel on page 33.

Not all regions of the country even have repeaters on the 8CALL channel. So the use of simplex or in other words the talk around on the output frequency is desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.