MW Antique Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize beforehand if I am posting this in the wrong section. I looked thru all the sections and this one seemed the closest one.

I've been wanting a old tube radio, AM(MW) only, mainly interested in the art deco styling.

Can't really afford 500 bucks on a Tesslor, and I don't really know them that well so it's a big gamble.

Do you know of anyone who currently makes good, plain radios in that style? It doesn't have to be a tube radio, but the classic look.

There are some online that get poor reviews and have CD players, Ipod docks, etc... that kind of affects the classic look.

If you know of any less popular brand out there that has decent quality radios, can you give me some suggestions?

ridgescan

Of course I realize you knew of Ebay's never ending array of said radios like here
vintage am tube radio | eBay

but I tell you, there are some very cool ones in there!
My main interests here are in HF/SW radios-but I do own a Korting Delmonico tabletop tube radio (which does have SW too:D) and when I run it, let's just say there is no substitute for tube driven audio. Put it on my SW loop on the roof and MAN what a DXer on MW! And what a piece of furniture to boot.
I say take a good close look in there and see what the possibilities are-you won't get satisfaction out of one of those faux-tubers with the chinese guts in them. More likely than not, knowing that the folks who would buy one of those would have no interest in the quality of the reception or the sound for that matter. They build them to just have that "look" you mentioned.
I got hold of one at one point and I think it stayed in this home about 3 weeks till I gave it to the garage sale pile.
Just some thoughts for your consideration.
I like this one a lot:)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zen...469473?pt=US_Radio_Tuners&hash=item4623087ca1

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Hunt out some of the European radios of the 50's - good quality, tubes still obtainable, usually a reasonable price too on Fleabay.

Here's my Blaupunkt "Sultan", not quite Art Deco, but definitely George Jetson....

Last edited:
Thank you for the info.
My fear with antique tube radios is that I don't know how to fix them and, from what I understand, it is dangerous to plug in a tube radio that hasn't been used in decades. That's why I was leaning towards a modern radio made like the old ones, but the choices out there aren't so great.

Tesslor makes really good looking ones but 500 bucks for something I don't really know about (the brand, I mean) is a gamble. Hand made in China doesn't inspire much confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.