MW ,radio beacons near Moscow,Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

I was listening to a receiver at sdr.hu and on a receiver located near Moscow. I heard no MW broadcast stations. I believe they were all shut down a number of years back, anybody know the year/s ?
I did hear scattered on the MW band there ,a number of beacons , IDing in code.
Where can I find a list of these MW beacons in Russia ,is Russia the only country that has these beacons on the MW band ?
Thank You,

Al

majoco

Stirrer
Here's my chart that I use when conditions are good - you'll need a pretty good receiver with narrow filters (and ears!) to sort out which is which as they are very close together based on one frequency.

Attachments

• Single letter beacons.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 11

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Single Letter HF Beacons (SLHFB) have been discussed for years, and their true purpose is unknown. Some think they may be propagation markers.

However that being said, the OP was asking about MW, not HF beacons...Onward...Mike

w2xq

Mentor
I think 873 may still be on the air. Google translates Радиостанция «Радио России» / Cлушать Прямой эфир и записи радиопрограмм / Аудио / Подкасты / mp3 / Программа передач which apparently is the largest station owner. Also see Radio Stations Around the World FWIW.

The USSR closed most all LW broadcasters on 9 June 2014. (When I had my 1000-ft Beverage up in the 1980s, I could hear 171 and most others in Eu and nAF.) More:

Longwave Broadcast Stations - HFUnderground (not sure of the accuracy)

HTH a bit.

Last edited:

Boombox

I glanced at the linked MW beacons list, and the Coastal stations seem to be above 1700 khz. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.