My 2008 Impala mobile shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

I finally broke down and bought a newer used car. So, of course, I had to outfit it with my communications gear. This time I'm keeping it somewhat simple. In the dash with the stereo is a Kenwood NX-700 VHF. On the side of the console is a Kenwood NX-800 UHF. Signals are delivered to both radios with a dual band trunk mount anteann via a small Kenwood duplexer. I added a cup holder to manage my UHF and 800 MHz portables.

Attachments

• CAM00894.jpg
    CAM00894.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,527
  • CAM00898.jpg
    CAM00898.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,368
  • CAM00901.jpg
    CAM00901.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,340

CommJunkie

Nice. My 2003 Impala had the electronics routed through the stereo control head, so I couldn't remove it. I'm assuming the newer models no longer have this blasphemy?

phillydjdan

This one had the chimes go through the stereo, but they sell a kit that has the harness adapter plus a small chime box that hooks right in. It also required an antenna adapter, as they used some very weird type of plug on it.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Nice. My 2003 Impala had the electronics routed through the stereo control head, so I couldn't remove it. I'm assuming the newer models no longer have this blasphemy?

You can remove it, just have to buy a $100 box(can't remember what it is called at the moment) to keep everything working like it should.

Tim

phillydjdan

It's a Vehicle Integration Unit, and I got mine on fleabay for about $40 brand new.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Nice install. I mounted my rigs similar to yours in a 2006 fusion. Not much room in these newer cars.

Nice set up.....do you mind me asking what you use the 800 megahertz handheld for? I'm not trying to be Snoopy or anything but do you use that setup for Public Safety communications or ham radio communications ??? I'm just wondering because that is a very nice setup for both!!!!

PACNWDude

Nice setup. I also mounted radios into the dash. (Pic of my shack shows them.) The lip mounted trunk antenna should serve you well too. For my handhelds, I have started seat belting them in a pouch in case I get into a wreck though. Had a punk rear end me and a handheld hit the floor. Similar layout of dash and console to yours, I have a Pontiac GP. Looks clean and easy to use in that car, good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.