Feed Provider
a2ygy5uv.jpg

a7ymehy9.jpg

ymu3udam.jpg

tepygumy.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

Uniden with the Garmin 18 GPS.

Nice work on the installation. Good placement of the scanner and GPS "hockey puck".

You are the first I have seen actually using a Garmin GPS 18 with a Uniden scanner in a long time. How well does that work in your area with the scanner?

I have an older BCT15 Uniden and a Garmin GPS 18 I need to hook up and play around with myself.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
The Puck works great. It can take a few minutes to lock on, however I have a remote starter so by the time I get in the car it usually has already acquired the signals. I have never had it lose a signal either. When I had my 996xt in the car with the remote head, I would keep the scanner under the drivers seat and the puck sat on top of the scanner. Even under there I had no problems with the signal.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You said you had previously used the 996 with the remote head. Are you pleased with how the 536 works in comparison? Is it worth the extra cost if, as it may turn out, one’s area does not use Phase II P25?

Does the 536 fit in the storage space and also allow the flip-up door to properly close?

AC2OY

Very sweet gotta love the hockey puck!! I would love to do that with a UHF/VHF ham transceiver, but then I'll probably never want to get out of my car! BTW Civics rule!! I can go like 10 days without putting gas in her!!!

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
That center console/cubby hole is actually 2 pieces. To get the 536 to install, I took it out and removed the upper piece (along with the flip door). That is how I got all that extra room to do the install.

When I had the remote head, I kept the center console in tact. I cut a 2x4 and slid it sideways into the upper cubby hole (with the door flipped up), and attached the remote head to that. It worked well but it did stick out a bit,

I like the 536 a lot better, mostly because I have a large radio ID list for most of the trunk systems that I listen to, and also because programming is easier. I have 2 sd cards so I can program the spare in the house and swap out cards when I get in the car.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
That center console/cubby hole is actually 2 pieces. To get the 536 to install, I took it out and removed the upper piece (along with the flip door). That is how I got all that extra room to do the install.

That whole assembly will come out and there is a TON of space back there.

Nice I have that same tri band (dual band actually!) Antenna and I haven't had very good porformance with it connected to my scanner, but I have an awesome performance with the connected to my handheld ham radio ! actually the best VHF performance I have ever seen!

KB6KGX

Banned
I have a 2010 Accord and just last week bought the BCD536HP. I like your install and plan to do exactly the same thing in my vehicle.

Did you do this yourself or did you have an installer do it for you? I’m curious as to how you have it installed in the center storage area. Did you use the supplied bracket or the DIN sleeve? How hard/easy is it to remove the scanner if you need to? Did you have to remove the flip cover?

As for the antenna, that looks like the Larsen 150/450/800? I’ve got that, too. But I also need to monitor 39/42 Mhz, so I might also use a whip cut for that band.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
That center storage section will actually separate from the center console. You have to pull the entire thing apart to do it. I don't have the link anymore, but you can easily find screen shots on how to do it if you do a web search. I attached the scanner mount to a metal bar that is behind the storage area using wire ties. I found that the stock bracket was too long, so I used an RH-96 remote head mount that I had.

That is a Larsen antenna. I have tried many over the years and it seems to be the best compromise for VHF to 800.

KB6KGX

Banned
That center storage section will actually separate from the center console. You have to pull the entire thing apart to do it. I don't have the link anymore, but you can easily find screen shots on how to do it if you do a web search. I attached the scanner mount to a metal bar that is behind the storage area using wire ties. I found that the stock bracket was too long, so I used an RH-96 remote head mount that I had.

That is a Larsen antenna. I have tried many over the years and it seems to be the best compromise for VHF to 800.

I have the Larsen antenna. But it’s not cut for 42 Mhz. I wonder if I can use a separate whip for that (I have a Larsen 40 Mhz coil) using a splitter?

As for the instructions on taking apart the center console, I haven’t found anything. But I would think that a professional installer person would know how to do that.

So, you didn’t use the bracket that came with it. Did you use the DIN sleeve? Or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.